Respected Contributor

The cost of shipping & refunds is rolled into the price of food & it's expensive...special containers, cold packs, expedited shipping & refunds for thawed items, I don't like it, etc, &  because food items can't be returned to be resold it's a big $ loss that the customers pay.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

The cost of shipping & refunds is rolled into the price of food & it's expensive...special containers, cold packs, expedited shipping & refunds for thawed items, I don't like it, etc, because food items can't be returned to be resold it's a big $ loss.

@kitcat51,  does that mean you would feel better if buyers received a food product, opened it and returned it then QVC sent the same (now likely spoiled) food out to someone else?

Do you think your local supermarket resells returned fresh/frozen food items like meat?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

I've always thought Q's food prices were higher than what I could find locally, but there must be a market for it or else they wouldn't keep selling and raising prices.  Like the OP, I prefer to go for the bargains.

When I last visited my parents, my mom sent me to the downstairs refrigerator to bring up some steaks.  That freezer was full of food she'd ordered from QVC--all recently.  She's been buying food from Q for years.  It's tasty, she can afford it, she enjoys watching David's In the Kitchen, and it's more convenient than going to the store which isn't as easy for her than it used to be.  

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

The cost of shipping & refunds is rolled into the price of food & it's expensive...special containers, cold packs, expedited shipping & refunds for thawed items, I don't like it, etc, because food items can't be returned to be resold it's a big $ loss.

@kitcat51,  does that mean you would feel better if buyers received a food product, opened it and returned it then QVC sent the same (now likely spoiled) food out to someone else?

Do you think your local supermarket resells returned fresh/frozen food items like meat?

The common sense answer is...of course not! The OP asked why food is so expensive & that's just 1 the reasons. Food can't be resold so the customer pays for that rolled in cost & it doesn't matter where you buy it, online or in your local store.

Honored Contributor

@JJK1954Hopefully they're not the same 10 pizzas.  I've tried those $1 ones -  once.  Never again anywhere I shop!

If I want cheap pizza, I buy one from Costco.  Those are about the cheapest edible pies I've had.    Prefer to buy from a local pizza shop even though they're much prcier than Costco.  I don't indulge often, so I want to like what I do eat.

Trusted Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I would never occur to me to buy food from QVC.  

I have a "gourmet" grocer around the corner and two supermarkets and several delis and bakeries in walking distance.  One liquor store and two wine shops nearby. 

Not to mention all the take-out places in the neighborhood.

@ALRATIBA  Your neighborhood sounds magnificent!  I want to move there. Wow.  I wish I had all that within walking distance of me.  

Respected Contributor

Once, just for fun, I had a Juniors cheesecake sent to my brother.

He thought I was nuts.

He had access to the Juniors store in Brooklyn.

I did so he could make the comparison, I already had done so.

We both agreed. There was no comparison. The store one was much better than the shipped product from QVC.

My point being, I do not think most items taste the same as the ones you can get locally.

But, if you can not taste the product in your area then you might very well be pleased with the product you receive because you would not know the difference.

Respected Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

I ordered the food items only when they are a TSV, otherwise they are very expensive.

Sometimes it is worth a splurge when you can only get these items from QVC and they have free shipping always.

Don't be fooled; they had to finally hide the shipping cost in the price so people would stop complaining about the high shipping cost. People were not happy seeing a cake for $20 with $10 shipping, but somehow they will pay $30 if the shipping is "free."

Esteemed Contributor

I have two grocery options and one of them is Walmart. 

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I would never occur to me to buy food from QVC.  

I have a "gourmet" grocer around the corner and two supermarkets and several delis and bakeries in walking distance.  One liquor store and two wine shops nearby. 

Not to mention all the take-out places in the neighborhood.

@ALRATIBA  Your neighborhood sounds magnificent!  I want to move there. Wow.  I wish I had all that within walking distance of me.  

Me, too!!