Honored Contributor

Leaving everything behind that I've lived with for many years does not appeal to me at all.  It would leave me feeling at a loss, and not free.  Somehow it might even feel different if these things are destroyed by some natural disaster than if you leave them for or sell them to someone else.

I wouldn't leave anything on purpose unless it was generic, like an Ikea bookcase or a readily available mattress or something similar.  Other things are unique, irreplaceable, or sentimental.

This reminds me of the people who sold their cat (probably has happened more than once) to new buyers.  They didn't give any thought to what the cat might prefer.  How do I know my furniture woudn't want to come with me?

I'm not saying it's alive, but some cultures believe everything has a spirit and if something has served you well and makes you smile whenever you see it, then that is something I'd include in a move.  Those things support my spirit.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Homegirl,  I understand everything you wrote.   You entered into the emotional area.  

Respected Contributor

No Way...  No Way...  No Way..........

I've had to replace everything twice, and not by choice.  Don't EVER want to have to do that again.  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

I would say NO. My belongings are MINE, and they can't have them. When we retired and moved to florida after 28 years in the same house, I think what makes the florida home feel cozy and right is having our belongings.

Valued Contributor

Re: What would you do?

[ Edited ]

Like in the movie, "Indecent Proposal", it may all depend upon the money which is offered for my sacred inner self (or toast oven).

On the one hand, I think a lot of people are tempted by the idea of becoming free of all their worldly possessions which seem to bog them down. On that level, the offer is appealing.

But realistically, depending upon what stage of life one is in or what one's next step will be...one will more than likely need to replace or reaccumulate all of those things once again.

I mean, unless one is preparing for death or to be going into some furnished assisted living place or plans to wander the desert barefoot looking for the meaning of life (without a toaster oven), we kinda just tend to naturally acquire stuff.

Like George Carlin's old comedy routine, we get rid of stuff and then get more stuff...and we need our stuff...

Unless someone hates or has a complete lack of investment in one's current possessions, why would anyone sell it all just to have to replace it all anyway?

I think I have fine taste and have always tried to surround myself with only things I love or which have meaning. I don't have much that I couldn't tell you a story about or which doesn't have value or sentiment or just aesthetic beauty. So why would I sell it all - for most any price?

I know I'd kick myself as I then went to replace or refurnish a new place anyway.

I'd only take the offer if I had a concrete plan to join the Sisters of Charity as to work in the slums of Calcutta. Then, since I might not have electricity anyway I wouldn't so much need my beloved toaster oven.

Otherwise, my toaster over goes where I go. It was the best one on the market and if I had to buy a new one it might not be made as well as it might now be made in China and some inner component part might corrode and burn my house down if it doesn't singe my toast.

Why take the chance?

Respected Contributor

Funny you'd ask...... We closed on a sale like this two w...

Funny you'd ask......
We closed on a sale like this two weeks ago. (Also one in Colorado 15 yrs. Ago) We had already moved some of the items we wanted from our mountain home prior to getting an offer , so what was left in the way of furniture and decor, was stuff that we had decided was too heavy or big to move ourselves, or things that we really didn't need any more. They asked for everything in the house and a closing in two weeks, but we wound up able to close in one week !
Respected Contributor
No. I chose the items in my home carefully and love them. Most items are meaningful to me and many could never be replaced (expensive antiques).
Honored Contributor
Something similar happened to a friend with her cottage. There were a few decorative items she wanted, but not having the hassle of packing and moving heavy stuff was a benefit.
Respected Contributor

First of all I would think it was a joke. But if they convinced me they were serious, I would be out in so in hours. 

Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do?

[ Edited ]

I'd be very skeptical.  Perhaps they do this kind of thing for a 'living'.  You know, I'm talking casing the joint to see what goodies you have.  They set up a plan and make robbing homes their living. 

Who says this kind of talk while walking through someone's home that's up for sale?  Casing the joint of your belongings.  Typically the home owners aren't there anyway, I get passing this info onto the realtor to share with the owners.  If my realtor told this to me, I'd probably laugh outloud.

This 'staging' thing nowadays in order to sell your home is totally ridiculous IMO.  Newbies in search of a new home are NOT buying YOUR stuff, they're buying the building.  Seeing someone else's stuff all around does not at all give YOU any kind of idea what your stuff will look like in  the new place.  To spend a bunch of your own money to fix up the place in order to sell it to others is insane as well.  Yes, you certainly do want it to look nice, clean, spiffed up but there's a definite limit to that.  It's so totally distracting looking through a house for sale REALLY see what this potentially new place will look like with MY things in it.  I'd so much more prefer to walk through a clean empty house.

So my answer is no.  NO.  My stuff is MY stuff and I'm keeping it!  Some of my stuff is junk but I'll be the one to decide what stays and what goes - to the dump, to goodwill, to a relative who loved that piece over there.