Respected Contributor

Re: What would you do?

[ Edited ]

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

What causes some to keep and hold items all the way to the grave?  

Only for those left behind to toss the items into the trash because they have their own stuff.....and do not want your stuff.

What causes you to buy or have them then besides utility, of course?

Respected Contributor

dulwich,  I have lived long enough to notice that it seems we live in 20 cycles.   Every 20 we seem to open one door and close that door and move into a different cycle.   This does not mean moving....but our life changes in some way where we are different.

No need it seems to me to drag around our whole life that we lived.  Oh sure we have stuff and things that call to our heart.   But we turn to the person next to us and think....that is what I will take with me into the future.

Enjoy your future;  what ever you do with it.  

Honored Contributor

Other than a couple heirloom pieces, they can have it all if the price is right.

Honored Contributor

i have antique persian rugs AND other antique items that i would want to keep since they have now been in our family for 3+ generations. if i could take those with me AND they were willing to pay me for what all of the other items were worth then yes, i would sell......otherwise, no deal.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I would take anything that was a gift to me from any family member or close friend.  They could have everything else.

I'd love to move into a new home and start from scratch, with new decorating ideas.

Respected Contributor

Re: What would you do?

[ Edited ]

Sunshine45,   Your rugs are part of your home and how you decorated it...they have to stay with the home to sell.

You can take jewelry, clothes, bath soaps, perfume, shoes and go.

Honored Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

Sunshine45,   Your rugs are part of your home and how you decorated it...they have to stay with the home to sell.

You can take jewelry, clothes, bath soaps, perfume, shoes and go.

then my answer would be positively no. i would give up my jewelry, clothes, bath soaps, perfume, shoes. handbags before i would let those rugs go.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

september,  it woud be fun to buy a new home, and design home a different way.   Fresh beginning...and don't look back...open new doors to a new life.  

Honored Contributor

That would be terrific!  Funny how I was thinking about this lately.  We're not ready to move yet but I have been thinking that maybe several years down the road we'll want to downsize.

My perfect retirement home would be a cute beach bungelow.  The master would be on the first floor, it would have a large kitchen with lots of cabinet space (I still like a lot of my stuff) room for a large table and open to a nice sized great room.  There would be another small room that could be a den/guest rom.

There would be an upstairs with another bath and a large craft room for me which could also be used as another guest room.

I do NOT want a formal dining or living room.  We only use those rooms a few times a year now.  So I would have to sell that furniture.  Plus I was thinking I wouldn't mind getting new family room & bedroom furniture too!  

It would be GREAT if an interested buyer wanted the furniture as well. It would save me a lot of work and aggravation trying to get it sold. Of course I would keep a few sentimental and special pieces.

Respected Contributor

haddon,   What you talked about with your future dreams of a different life style and home sounds nice.  When you get older you would not want a second floor.  One floor works best to grow old in.  

People live different now days...not like their parents or grandparents lived in homes.  

If we move and take all of our "stuff" all we did was put our "stuff" into another house.   It would have the same feel, and it would be the same really.