Honored Contributor

For me it would be a dnefinite no as then I would have to buy new furniture and that would be worse then moving what I have!  Also I want what I like and am happy with.

I don't care what happens to my  furnishing or anything after I'm gone as what does it matter?

Honored Contributor

When we moved the buyers did offer to purchase a few things --my DH's workbench in the garage, a very large table in the basement, shelves we had put up all along the basement walls,and shelves all around the top of the room in DH's office. They were all things we had planned to leave behind but it was nice to get paid for them.

Honored Contributor

You must have great taste and be a terrific decorator.  My mother is a regular Martha Stewart also and she too sold a  house similar to this because the women loved her style so much.  

Honored Contributor

In april of 2013, my husband died, i had to leave my home,of 13 years,this was my dream home,i so loved it, i had to part with my husband, my home,and many items, i had to scale down, i did, i kept what i thought i needed to,gave lots to my son,and his family, all of the choices i had to make,was not easy.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

For the right price, sure.  I don't have any family heirlooms. I like my furnishings, dinnerware,  etc, but I can find others that I like just as well, if not more.   I don't like having a lot of STUFF anyway.   

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

I'd do it in a heartbeat if the price was right.  One time we bought a house and we weren't going to have enough furniture because the house was twice as big.  I really like the sofa the lady had in the living room and I asked her if I could buy it.  She was making payments on it and said "sure" just take over the payments.  We contacted the furniture store and it was ok with them so that is what we did.  We were all happy.

She was getting a divorce and couldn't afford the payments anyway.

Of course, that was before we got into the furniture business ourselves.

Honored Contributor

@4Kicks wrote:

Roll over and wake up.

Lol.

LOL!

Valued Contributor

Re: What would you do?

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

I'd be very skeptical.  Perhaps they do this kind of thing for a 'living'.  You know, I'm talking casing the joint to see what goodies you have.  They set up a plan and make robbing homes their living. 

Who says this kind of talk while walking through someone's home that's up for sale?  Casing the joint of your belongings.  Typically the home owners aren't there anyway, I get passing this info onto the realtor to share with the owners.  If my realtor told this to me, I'd probably laugh outloud.

This 'staging' thing nowadays in order to sell your home is totally ridiculous IMO.  Newbies in search of a new home are NOT buying YOUR stuff, they're buying the building.  Seeing someone else's stuff all around does not at all give YOU any kind of idea what your stuff will look like in  the new place.  To spend a bunch of your own money to fix up the place in order to sell it to others is insane as well.  Yes, you certainly do want it to look nice, clean, spiffed up but there's a definite limit to that.  It's so totally distracting looking through a house for sale REALLY see what this potentially new place will look like with MY things in it.  I'd so much more prefer to walk through a clean empty house.

So my answer is no.  NO.  My stuff is MY stuff and I'm keeping it!  Some of my stuff is junk but I'll be the one to decide what stays and what goes - to the dump, to goodwill, to a relative who loved that piece over there. 

I think it only makes real sense to sell everything if the expensive of moving the items would be much greater than the value of those items. Or if one is moving, needs to sell the house, but doesn't know where precisely one will wind up. Its silly to take a huge 4-poster bed if one winds up in a small studio apartment in the end.

Or, of course, there are the incidences where the seller is going somewhere where s/he doesn't need furniture. Like into assisted living or to live with a daughter or moving into some LU-VAH's place...or death. You don't need many lamps in Heaven I hear.

And sometimes furniture is custom-made to a niche or specifications of a place. One sees a lot of people in Europe who sell - everything included. Often because the moving industry isn't all that big since traditionally people didn't move as much as do we Americans. There remains more of a tradition of passing real estate onto heirs. And lots of furniture there tends to be more customized to a particular wall or room.

And it makes total sense to sell everything (and for a buyer to want), say, all of the Mies van der Rohe designed furnishings in a Mies van der Rohe designed space. Or the Frank Llyod Wright house had best come with the furniture he designed for that specific house.

The other reasons might be that someone just rreeeeallly needs the ca$h. If one is selling a house because one is in financial straits or divorcing, then, yeah, the new owners can have the former marital bed...one full of anger and shame (and good luck to them...may their nights not be plagued with the spirits and squeaky springs of marital discord). lol

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

In april of 2013, my husband died, i had to leave my home,of 13 years,this was my dream home,i so loved it, i had to part with my husband, my home,and many items, i had to scale down, i did, i kept what i thought i needed to,gave lots to my son,and his family, all of the choices i had to make,was not easy.

{{{Hugs goldensrbest}}}

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

My first thought is "take it PLEASE, take it all!"

Next, I am having second thoughts!

Family heirlooms-  we are giving to family who value or want these.

Family pictures... In process ... Taking pictures of pictures and putting them in FB if family ever wants them. There are very few  that are really remembered or representative of important events.  

Technology changes and then wipes out saved video tapes, etc.

Someday, family members may be old enough (or when life's pace has slowed for them) and they may wish for memories.

i hope I save the right things!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~