Esteemed Contributor

Re: What would you do if you won Powerball???

After I paid off any and every bill I owe I would then take care of all the elders in my family several are suffering with different illness that no longer allow them to take care of themselves like they use to so I would pay for whatever help that was needed.  Donate to a reputable charity or charities that have afterschool programs for kids or maybe start one at my church or community.  Gift some family members of course.  Invest for sure.

I would definitely have to move due to the publicity.

Not sure I would quit my job immediately I might gloat for about a month when I am driven to work in a stretch limousine with an awesome looking chauffeur!

Valued Contributor

Help out many furry friends and move to Switzerland.

Frequent Contributor

I have also grown leary of charities....especially the ones with celebrity speakers.  I feel my donations are going to pay their salary versus the cause.  Enriching specific people and their lives would be rewarding.  It would be awesome to fund some college educations.

Honored Contributor

Call my bank.

Get an attorney.

Establish a trust.

Buy a big house (big, not HUGE).

MOVE OUT THE DAY I WON.  SOMEWHRE TEMPORARY.

Then I would find financil advice, and start talking to my church and alma mater about donating. 

Relax for awhile in my favorite vacation spot!

Have tea and carry on!

Valued Contributor

FAINT!!!!!!!!!!!

Valued Contributor

First, I'd hire a good attorney and financial advisor.  I wouldn't announce it to anyone until I received my first payment.  It is such a large amount of money! It is more than I could ever use. So, I would want the majority of it to go to helping people in need, but I have no expertise in that area, so I would give it to Gates or Buffet and let their people manage it.  Some would be set up in a revolving fund, so I could assist family and friends. For me, I would love to cruise anywhere in the world.  I would love to take more cruises! 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

Contact my lawyer and accountant, and stay out of the media spotlight.

Respected Contributor

Oh, I have quite a list that I have been thinking about for years. First off, DH gets half to spend/gift as he wishes to avoid any arguments.

My brother would be able to retire, my nephew would be able to buy a home and live comfortably.  

Animal shelters would love me.  

Pave our 700 driveway, and hire perennial landscaping service.  

Never cook or clean again.

Expand home and buy another one where weather is more temperate.  

See the world.

Trusted Contributor

General question (just planning ahead lol!):  When you win something like this, are you obligated to appear on television?  I'm always surprised to see the names of these big winners released and I can't imagine they wanted to appear on television with the announcement.  Do you have to sign something agreeing to appear and agreeing to release your name when you collect your prize?  

Honored Contributor

@Mrsq2022  I think I've heard before it depends on the state you live in.  Some you can choose to be anonymous and others have to reveal who gets the check.