Esteemed Contributor

Pop quiz, for those who care to play.

What would you do IF you were shopping, and saw another person shoplift something?

What if it was a teenager - vs. an elderly person - would your reaction be different?

Barley Hill.jpg

Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Pop quiz, for those who care to play.

What would you do IF you were shopping, and saw another person shoplift something?

What if it was a teenager - vs. an elderly person - would your reaction be different?

Barley Hill.jpg

@ YorkieonmyPillow

I'd report Anyone I see shoplifting!

Respected Contributor

I've seen a couple of people shoplift in a grocery store.  I've never seen anyone shoplift in a department store.

I did not say anything only because they either needed the food and were desperate; or they had other issues and I was not going to get involved. 

I don't know if it would make a difference if it was a teen vs. an elderly person.  It would really depend on the moment and what kind of "feeling" I got about the situation.

Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do IF ~

[ Edited ]

When I pointed out a shoplifter to a manager, he told me that the cost of the item I saw "lifted" did not amount to enough to alert the authorities.  I don't know what the monetary threshold is for legal action against a shoplifter.  Since I was ready to leave the store after reporting the incident, I don't know if the shoplifter was ever detained. The offender appeared to be middle-aged (40-50).

Trusted Contributor

I would tell one of the clerks.  It wouldn't matter to me whether it was a teenager or an older person - theft is theft and it costs all of us money.  Just because someone is older doesn't mean they aren't capable of criminal behavior.  A few years ago a retired woman living in the same retirement community that I live in robbed a bank here.  She was convicted and went to jail.  She had a nice car and house and there was no indication she was in any financial trouble (and if she was that wouldn't have been an excuse for criminal behavior).  Who knows what other crimes she might have committedand not been caught.

Honored Contributor

I would MYOB ...... there are security cameras everywhere and hopefully there is a security person watching customers.   It's up to them to do something about it, based on store policy and law enforcement regulations.

Honored Contributor

I did cause a shoplifter to get caught.  He had 16 warrents out on him.  I had showed  him a piece of $6,000 jewelry, I had a "feeling" and called security.  I asked them to keep their eyes on me, I didn't have a good feeling.  They realized who he was from a tatoo and came down around me.  He took the ring and ran.  They chased him and dropped him about twelve feet from me.

I absolutely would tell someone.

Honored Contributor

I've reported it to store personnel in the past.

I think the only thing that would be different, for me, is if they are taking food.  Not like a can of caviar or something, of course.  Smiley Wink  But if it seemed like somebody needed to take food to feed themselves or their family, I'd just mind my own business.  

If it were my store, I would welcome the help.   They cannot catch everybody and the more stuff that's stolen, the more everything costs the rest of us.

Respected Contributor

i agree with @Tinkrbl44 and would myob.  there are cameras everywhere as she said.  i'm not out looking for trouble.

Respected Contributor

I stood behind a woman in the checkout at the grocery.  Her cart had the baby seat pulled open, but there was no apparent baby or child--no visible car seat, no legs showing, no movement or sound, etc.  Whatever the large object that was in the seat was covered completely (enough to smother an infant) with a blanket.  

The woman finished her small purchase and left.  As I approached the cashier, I said to her, "You know she had a ham or turkey under that blanket, don't you?"  She lowered he eyes, nodded and quietly answered, "Sure, but we're not allowed to say anything."

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.