Occasional Contributor

Hi Everyone -

You have all been such a wonderful support system to me over the last year and you probably don't even know it. When we had to put our 12-year-old basset to sleep due to inoperable cancer last June I found such comfort in these boards. Likewise you were celebrating with me when we adopted a 6-year-old rescue basset, Belle. I have posted on the boards before about wanting to adopt a second dog and you were all so encouraging, but when we didn't adopt a second one I felt bad and haven't posted for a while.

I would have a second dog in a heartbeat but my husband is very happy with one dog. He also worries about affording a second dog. We don't have tons of extra money nor are we destitute -- we're the average empty nester couple. For us the expenses are monthly vet visits (for nail trims, Heartgard, Front Line), yearly visits for shots, etc., occasional boarding, and of course food and supplies. A major illness would probably be a struggle for us - but isn't it for most? He loves our basset and I know he would love a second dog if we got one (he has admitted that), but I'm struggling with whether to push the issue (more than I already have - and trust me I have!) or whether I should be content with the wonderful dog we have. Part of me also wonders if my not pushing harder means I really don't want a second dog, the extra work, etc. Although the love you receive far outweighs any work on our part.

I guess I want him to have the same enthusiasm for a second dog that I have, but I don't think that is going to happen... so I guess I'm wondering how some of you handle this issue - when one of you wants more dogs and the other doesn't. The reason I haven't pushed even harder is I really feel it is like having kids, you both have to want more for it to really work.

I do have my eye on a 3-year-old basset. She seems to have a very similar personality to Belle, but I haven't called to find out specifics about her. It's so hard to see that face looking for a home. So help! I would appreciate your advice, stories, even telling me to appreciate what I have and being content with that is okay Smiley Happy

TIA!