Trusted Contributor

Re: What the news leaves out.

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Deree  Timeline.  Nursing homes were closed to visitors/family in the beginning to keep the disease out. Brought in by staff?  So staff stays away while ill. And the nursing home brings in covid patients?  In what world does that make sense?

Also, doesn't governor have power over health department?

It's common sense and decency. Do what you can to protect everyone.  Where there's a will, there's a way. 

Who thinks anyone in charge would return their own loved one to a nursing home in the same way?

@esmerelda    Yes I absolutely believe the virus was brought in by staff.  I spent 3 weeks in a rehab/nursing home facility a few years ago when I fractured my femur.  I cannot begin to tell you the blatant disregard for good hygiene practices that I observed all day long and this was supposed to be a top notch facility in my city too.

As to what I bolded and underlined. Again it was the Fed's CDC guidelines that required nursing homes take Covid+ patients back in.  And Again the nursing home did not HAVE to take back their Covid+ residents if they could not properly isolate and care for them.  The guidelines said they were to contact the Department of Health and the patient would be transferred elsewhere in that event.

No one knew the tragedy that would occur.  No one knew that nursing homes had taken their patients back but obviously did NOT take proper precautions. It was after that tragedy occurred that it became necessary to identify and create additional places to put these patients such as field hospitals, large conference centers, hotels.  

I don't know if I've answered your question to your liking or not. You are free to think whatever you wish about the situation. Bottom line is I don't think any of us sitting at home knows everything and every step that transpired in this tragedy but I feel pretty confident that all was done that could have been done under extremely difficult circumstances BEFORE and without knowing that a tragedy would occur.

Monday morning quarterbacking is always easy.

Not sure how it's Monday morning quarterbacking to have realized almost immediately - i.e., Washington State's nursing home crisis - that whatever "ability" the nursing homes may have thought they had to control exposure and infection - it wasn't working.

I thought the CDC was using "expert science" - doesn't science constantly monitor for flawed predictions?

Obvously the Health Director in PA knew it was a problem.  She removed her 95 year old mother before insisting the nursing home take COVID patients.

Additionally, the nursing homes in NY DID push back and said they could NOT safely take COVID patients. Yet the State ordered them to take them anyway.   What about that?

@Isobel Archer 

Actually the State Health Department or the Governor of the state made the call, not the CDC.

You are probably right - since clearly not all states did this, but at least one governor decided to blame the CDC.   So either he was wrong or the other governors ignored the CDC requirements.

And aren't State Health Officials also supposed to be using "science?"  Oh wait - the PA official did - at least as far as her own mother was concerned.  She took her out before she insisted that nursing home take COVID patients.

I believe the CDC guidelines were that people could go back to nursing homes IF they were able to keep the people isolated and had ways to handle it. The state said you must take covid positive and can't descriminate. Also you couldn't test people to find out if they're positive. Unfortunately the state made no mention of the if you can't handle it part. And nursing homes that told the state they were having trouble were ignored.

Respected Contributor

I stopped watching those national news channels long ago.  The information they purposely leave out totally changes the news.  When asked why they leave out details their response was they have limited time and can't fit it in.  Oh, ok.  Duh. Not wasting my time with nonsense.

Honored Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

I stopped watching those national news channels long ago.  The information they purposely leave out totally changes the news.  When asked why they leave out details their response was they have limited time and can't fit it in.  Oh, ok.  Duh. Not wasting my time with nonsense.

@MomCat 

Oh, please ........    ANY half hour news show is only about 20 minutes sans commercials.  Yes, they can only offer the highlights of any news story. 

Surely you realize you can always do further research online on any story you want to learn more about.  Unless you're just too lazy to bother to know what's happening in the world ....  it's so much easier just to blame how the networks report it,  right? 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is going off topic.

Honored Contributor

So true, @Isobel Archer .   That's been most recently confirmed by no less a personage than Van Gordon Sauter, former president of CBS news.  He has a recent piece in the Wall Street Journal outliining the history of the news tilt in legacy media, and how much even worse and "hardened" it has become over the years.  The excerpts I've seen are blockbuster, and I think a full perusal of the article would be a total eye-opener for many.