Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's the smartest decision you have ever made in your life?

@LTT1 wrote:

@NAES1@INDIANA BONES

i need to give a shout-out to my stylist who is a self-made woman. Not only has she become active in our city by participating in philanthropic events, but she has told me at least three stories of helping needy friends.

One friend who is being helped by her now, is confined to a wheelchair. My friend is fixing her house up for her, doing plumbing and painting, but also she is takes her to MD appointments, helps her with bill problems. It touches my heart that someone could be so caring of others.

And so I appreciate you both for your contributions to others, also.

~~~~~~~

...ah, "such kind and gentle words that you, LOVES, have given". I appreciate the compliment in giving loving help so humbly"...

I tried to do a summary> what happens, and was JUST told sorry to my request.  Now, that should tell us why voluteers are needed. Use your imagination to what I have witnessed-PLEASE!

What is wrong, not supplying my story here?

No help here! 

No request allowed to be.  GIven!

Esteemed Contributor

@loveschocolate:

Message to thank you  ```````and READ.

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1,

sorry for the incorrect poster; this was for lovestoteach~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Esteemed Contributor

@violann wrote:

Sfnative, I loved reading what you've said,with one small disagreement- most music teachers can't TEACH sight reading so most highly gifted music students never LEARN it.

I've never had a real major instrument, but early on I taught myself to be a proficient sight reader, and I am able to teach almost all of the students with whom I work to sight read, or at the very least, to enjoy being able to do basic sight reading.

Although I haven't taught formally in many years, I do provide voluntary help to some of the students at my local community college.

The college happens to have an excellent music program, but there is no time to provide structured instruction in sight reading/ear training because the students have to work so hard to get through music fundamentals and 4 semesters of music theory.

SOME local secondary programs do use Kodaly based music training, and those students do of course have a better concept of reading music as fluently as reading words, which is exactly as it should be.

Thank you for your fascinating story!

@violann

Perhaps one thing I should have mentioned was that this occurred from 1965-1971, so we had all basically grown up with our instruments via private lessons, which vary from that which is taught in public school programs that haven't had the $$ yanked from creative arts programs.

Yes, sight singing can be taught to a certain degree.  My point addressed the state of the university level Music Major, already quite proficient at his/her instrument and music theory, but sadly lacking in moderate to excellent sight reading skills.  As you must know, a great deal of pressure is placed on the privately trained student.  This often includes a need to "pick up" a song/piece (or sight read) pretty darn quickly, or you're going to be on the wrong side of your teacher/professor.

Congratulations on the wonderful work you're doing.   It is, without a doubt, outstanding.

~Rebecca

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@NAES1@INDIANA BONES

i need to give a shout-out to my stylist who is a self-made woman. Not only has she become active in our city by participating in philanthropic events, but she has told me at least three stories of helping needy friends.

One friend who is being helped by her now, is confined to a wheelchair. My friend is fixing her house up for her, doing plumbing and painting, but also she is takes her to MD appointments, helps her with bill problems. It touches my heart that someone could be so caring of others.

And so I appreciate you both for your contributions to others, also.

@LTT1:

Please see your reply as my answer AND opinion.

@To @lovetoteach

Honored Contributor

@NAES1  I think I know what you were wanting to do...

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

To comment on the posts regarding sight reading: the more music one plays, the better one can sight read.

PRACTICE.

Honored Contributor

sassy pants double double toil.jpg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To suck it up and move on with my life.

Esteemed Contributor

Mr. Hamlin's son by the actress Urlsula Andress is a movie director/producer.  Though I don't believe they live near each other - one in /europe and Harry here, he might have thought a bit more about how he would be recieved wearing that symbol. 

I know the US cavalry uniforms greatly offend the Native Americans, so the symbol is also something that should be taken into consideration of others before displaying it. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust