Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's the smartest decision you have ever made in your life?

Praising God for my Christian parents.

Never taken up the habit of SMOKING, nor marrying a man that is a drunk.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a great post!  I did a few smart things I remain happy about...

1.  Broke through the glass ceiling and became part of a senior management team in a male dominated industry.

2.  Never stayed at a job I didn't love.

3.  Retired at 50.

4.  Quit smoking.

5.  Started gardening.

6.  Got rid of toxic people in my life.

LM

PS, one of the most interesting things I have done and one of the most rewarding was to mentor young professional women in their career pursuits.  I went back to school at the age of 40 to do a Master's degree.  I was the granny of the classroom.  I mentored several young women in my class throughout their careers.  These women became competent able senior managers and have remained good friends to me some twenty years later.  I had the benefit of a woman on my company's Board of Directors and she looked out for me.  I never forgot that and was delighted to return the favor.

Respected Contributor

Accepting that my DIL will always be crazy.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

........apart from marrying your spouse and having children, what has been the best decision you've ever made? For me, it was continuing my education. I have a couple of advanced degrees and that has made a HUGE difference in my life and the opportunities that opened up to me. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts....

(please respond with something other than marrying your spouse or having children.....to make this more interesting and enlightening for us all....)

Agreeing to divorce my husband after nine months of him badgering me. He was toxic, I wanted him out of my life so  that I could start healing  & move on with my life. It took nine months of counseling for me to become strong enough to realize that I could live without him in my life.

Respected Contributor

probably moving from the east to the west coast with my husband and starting a whole new life.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Continuing my education as well. I also have an advanced degree and I'm working on my next one. Going to a community college at first was one of the best decisions also. I saved a lot of money, met my spouse and was able to apply for a scholarship, which I received to attend a well respected university.

Ignoring both my parents when they did not approve my boyfriend who is now my spouse. My dad still hasn't met him and didn't go to my wedding or attend my graduations because he doesn't approve. My mom met my husband a month before my wedding at my baptism. She loves him now but she put him down for 4 years without meeting him. They don't like the country where he's from even though it's from the same ethnicity. You need to know when to follow your heart and your own intelligence.

Getting baptized. My dad did not believe in child baptism so as the second child I was never baptized but my sister was. It was one of the most significant moments in my life and I did it all on my own. 

Getting married in church. For me, it was important. It makes the union more meaningful IMO not just for us but for both families (obviously not for everyone in my case). 

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

Accepting Jesus Christ as my saviour.  It totally changed me and my attitude toward others.  When they say born again, I really was.  I am a new and different person. I am so much happier now.  An added blessing is that my husband had this wonderful thing happen in his life at the same time as me.  This was 20 years into our marriage.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I would have to say my decision to retire at 62 . I worked per diem for 4 more years at the

same hospitat OR. ,and retired for good in August. Nothing is perfect, but this comes darn 

close.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Hopefully, the one I make two years from now.  Smiley Happy

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

........apart from marrying your spouse and having children, what has been the best decision you've ever made? For me, it was continuing my education. I have a couple of advanced degrees and that has made a HUGE difference in my life and the opportunities that opened up to me. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts....

Mine was the same as yours, and I did it all myself.  Worked my way through undergrad, graduate and post post graduate.  No loans, either, two jobs at the same time, plus a full class load.

It wasn't easy, but I made it work.  I didn't live at home, I lived with roommates and paid for my own living expenses.

I don't think that can be done today.  Rent and the cost of living are too high, so are textbooks.

Mine too, BA, Masters, Doctorate and post Doc.  All worked for (two jobs) and paid for by me, carried a full load, and had no help, or loans, but did have a partial academic scholarship (part of tuition only) for Doc.  Rented a room in a private home close to campus. So grateful to have been able to do on my own - many times I thought I might not make it.

Then, when I had my creds I started my own business.   Not a single regret!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras