Esteemed Contributor

For hummingbird food!!  I know it's sugar and water....recipes vary in boiling time....what's your tried and true family recipe!!

Honored Contributor

Re: What's Your Best Recipe....

Old-fashioned mix right from the liquor store.

No, not really.

Valued Contributor

1 part sugar to 4 parts water.

I used bottled water because my well water is softened. 

I did not boil it.

Respected Contributor

Not saying I'm correct but this is what I do. 1 part sugar to 4 parts water...but at the beginning of the season I do just a little bit less water to attract them even more. Want them coming to my feeder and not my neighbor's. Ha! In years past I would just bring it to a good boil and shut it off. Now I try to boil it for at least one minute. But I've read it should boil for about two minutes. Call me impatient!   

Esteemed Contributor

@pupwhipped  me too!!!  I have a pan on the stove now.  I have to get all the feeders and hooks out of the garage.... hopefully tomorrow!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@pupwhipped  me too!!!  I have a pan on the stove now.  I have to get all the feeders and hooks out of the garage.... hopefully tomorrow!

great minds think alike!!

Contributor

Our hummers arrive around May 10th in MA near NH border. We boil for 3 min. then remove to a hot pad to cool down.We do half cup of sugar to 2 cups of water. We pour sugar in when boiling starts.

Esteemed Contributor

1 part sugar and 4 parts water. It only takes a couple of minutes of boiling to dissolve the sugar. We make enough to fill the feeders and also fill a container that we keep refrigerated.

Honored Contributor

Plants - red flowered plants