Honored Contributor

Re: What's Wrong with People?

Omg.  I could not believe what I was reading.  Not a single person picked up the phone to dial 911.  I'm sure there were men on that train, why didn't they band together to stop the assault?  It's a shame they can't arrest the people on that train for being an accessory to rape.  

Esteemed Contributor

How horrific for that young woman.  Thankfully, the rapist was arrested, but shame on anyone on that train who saw and did nothing.  I do believe that most people are in their own worlds when using public transport today, because people are on their phone and have ear buds in with loud music.  However, there were people on that train who did not want to get involved.

At some point, we have to turn a corner and stop with the violence and name-calling that our society seems to thrive on.  As we get older, we should all be very concerned as to what is happening, not just for ourselves, but for our families.  As DH and I think about downsizing, we are hesitant to leave our current home because our neighbors are wonderful and I feel very safe here.  I wonder how long that will last and whether any place that we move to will be safe.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

With all the "I don't judge" going around, we have lost the ability to know when to excuse a social faux pas and when to call the police.  

Something I read long ago as humor.  Now it's reality.  But I don't judge. . . Woman Sad  We don't judge.  It isn't your fault, it's how you were raised and we can fix that.  Some day.  

We don't even expect people to know right from wrong any more.  And Hillary was right, it takes a village but the village has long since bowed out. 

Esteemed Contributor

You are right @hckynut imagine making the conscious effort to record an unimaginable act rather then trying to get help.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Omg.  I could not believe what I was reading.  Not a single person picked up the phone to dial 911.  I'm sure there were men on that train, why didn't they band together to stop the assault?  It's a shame they can't arrest the people on that train for being an accessory to rape.  

@chrystaltree 

I agree! If there were men there you would like to think they might re-enact what was done on Flight 93 in 2001. I realize these men would not be facing certain death, as were the Real Men on that flight. But no, nobody came to her aid. SAD!

It's really a shame seeing what has, and is happening, in our world these days.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

This isn't just a recent phenomenon, for those of us who remember the Kitty Genovese case in NYC in the 1960s.  If you don't, Google it.

@Pearlee  I certainly do remember Kitty Genovese. No one in that building who heard her screaming called the police. Yes, 1960's. She died.

Esteemed Contributor

I just read the story. The entire rape is caught on surveillance tape. The police confirm there were many people in the position to get help yet none did. It is sickening, and shows how detached we are from one another. 

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

This isn't just a recent phenomenon, for those of us who remember the Kitty Genovese case in NYC in the 1960s.  If you don't, Google it.

@Pearlee, There was a documentary about that on Netflix. I did not realize that she made it inside the building after being stabbed twice in the back and the door was locked so she was in a hallway. He left when someone shouted to leave her alone but then came back10 minutes later, started searching for her and found her inside and stabbed her more then raped her.  The movie was called The Witness.  It did fill in a lot of detail. Her brother and the friend that found her, held her until the ambulance got there also give their thoughts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kitty Genovese.

Say her name.

Honored Contributor

There is a such a thing as being charged for failure to render aid, which is a misdemeanor or felony, depending on circumstances.   I am actually following a local case of this, that resulted in the death of a sibling of someone I know very well.   

I would hope an investigation of this incident will determine whether charges apply to any bystanders.