Respected Contributor

Re: What's With The Signs???

[ Edited ]

Lawn signs have been a part of political campaigning since the practice of political campaigning began. Bumper stickers, billboards, literature, public forums and phone banking are also methods used for the same purpose. My guess is this pattern of campaigning will continue for many more years to come.

Respected Contributor

I felt strongly about the outcome of one important  election,

yes, for the first time, I did put up a lawn sign. I left it up for

severals weeks after because of the big Win !

Honored Contributor

DH was involved in local politics for many years......we ALWAYS vote and if there is a candidate or cause that we are very interested in and support we wlll put a sign in the yard.    There are laws dictating how long the signs can be up after the election.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

DH was involved in local politics for many years......we ALWAYS vote and if there is a candidate or cause that we are very interested in and support we wlll put a sign in the yard. There are laws dictating how long the signs can be up after the election.

I live in a rural area, five acre lots and no HOA. I had no

problem with keeping my sign up a little longer. 

Super Contributor

@Dusty1:

Thats why people should do their homework; REAL HOMEWORK... 

Just like when one is shopping for a big ticket item or looking for  a contractor, do your research..

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Year after year I wonder why all the candidate signs are put everywhere?  Has a sign ever convinced anyone to vote for the person?  I wish they were banned.

I agree They're an eyesore and create more litter problems that we don't need. 

Super Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

Have you seen voter turnout statistics? It's shameful. Signs and ads can work on uninformed or apathetic voters, and there are plenty of those. So, yes, I do think they can have an impact.

I plan on putting a sign on my lawn for a school bond coming up. I am sure there are plenty of people who aren't even aware it's on the ballot.

I totally agree about uninformed people..

I cannot stress enough for one to do their homework; after all, we are putting people in charge of our pocket book...

Super Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Signs don't influence my vote at all....I do the research and make up my own mind. Wish everyone would do that, but many people just vote because they have seen lots of signs with that name. Pity.

ME TOO !!! .. One should always make time to get the facts; just like when we are looking to make a purchase on something.. 

Trusted Contributor

What bothers me much more than any sign I might see are people who stand right outside the no campaigning zone and get on your back to push their candidate in your face or even ask you if you have voted. I don't know these people so when they ask if I voted I say Who wants to know? Then I walk away from them.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Valued Contributor

I had someone push a microphone in my face on my way coming out of the polling place one time and he asked who I voted for. I asked if they had taken away our right to a secret ballot. If not, then my vote belongs to me. It's no ones business who I vote for or why. I see no reason to advertise where my vote goes. I did my homework and made my choice based on my opinion. You may have a different opinion for a very good reason as well. I see no reason to broadcast those chioces or reasons. I do not put up yard signs, bumper stickers, pins or any other advertisements. I do miss getting the yardsticks or rulers they used to hand out. But, I don't campaign for anyone. And I don't send in a check for some person that has more money in the bank than I have, that's just silly. I give to those people that are in need, there is no one running for office that is in need.