Valued Contributor

Re: What's With All the Praying?

This talk about "have a blessed day" reminds me of the "Happy Holidays" discussions.  I appreciate good wishes and I don't care how they're phrased really.

Honored Contributor

According to the Marriam Webster Dictionary

Full Definition of BLESSED

a :  held in reverence :  venerated <the blessed saints>

b :  honored in worship :  hallowed <the blessed Trinity>

c :  beatific <a blessed visitation>
:  of or enjoying happiness; specifically :  enjoying the bliss of heaven —used as a title for a beatified person
bringing pleasure, contentment, or good fortune
—used as an intensive <never had one blessed minute of instruction — Charles Scribner Jr.>
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@physicsnut wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

As long as you started this thread, I hate when hosts end their show with "Have a blessed day."   Someone did that just yesterday (female host - didn't even know who she is). People should keep religious wishes to themselves; surely Q has some atheist / agnostic viewers.

Wow.  I love and appreciate it when a host says have a blessed day.  We need MORE of that in the world today!

No doubt a lot of people like it, but it's not applicable to their entire audience.  They shouldh't be expressing anything religious or political as host IMO.  I am delighted for you to get "blessings" for your day elsewhere, if you appreciate that thought.  Many people don't. 

Something that I have been curious about for some time as far as QVC policy - what exactly constitutes "religion" as far as the forums and QVC's supposed "no politics or religion" part of their rules & guidelines.

Many posters have Xtian sayings and bible verses as their sig lines, a few close to "preaching" standards. I'm pretty positive that if posters included Muslim or Pagan, or atheistic sig lines, they would be reported to QVC as being offensive and told by QVC to remove those sig lines.

Yet I'm equally positive that if anyone complained to QVC about overtly Xtian sig lines, comments, threads or posts, they would be ignored.  

IMO, if it's okay for one religious belief or non-belief to have sig lines, commentary and entire threads, it should be equally okay for every other belief system to have the same privilege.

If a host/hostess can freely say Have a Blessed Day, then hosts should also be able to say Shalom, MerryMeet, Blessed Be, Namaste, or As-Salaam-Aleikum.  But I'm betting that would make QVC unhappy.

interesting that Hosts/OAPs are offering Religous sayings but those are not allowed here at all. 

There is one host who is beginning to go overboard in her use of Religon to sell goods, totally inappropriate, IMO

Respected Contributor

@hopi wrote:

Q needs to have a forum called OUTRAGE OF THE DAY..

or MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING.

This will really throw you God Bless America.

Good one! I'll add a little somethin' to really stir the pot..."I'm praying for you"

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC for inappropriate comments

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Uh-oh! You are going to get into trouble just like I did by using the word offended. She said she wasn't angry!!!! lol!

That is correct.  Not angry nor offended.  LOL!

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

According to the Marriam Webster Dictionary

Full Definition of BLESSED

a :  held in reverence :  venerated <the blessed saints>

b :  honored in worship :  hallowed <the blessed Trinity>

c :  beatific <a blessed visitation>
:  of or enjoying happiness; specifically :  enjoying the bliss of heaven —used as a title for a beatified person
bringing pleasure, contentment, or good fortune
—used as an intensive <never had one blessed minute of instruction — Charles Scribner Jr.>

I've already posted that above on this thread.  Why the repeat?

Honored Contributor

The more I thought about this, the more sorry I feel for someone who can't accept "have a blessed day" with a smile, thinking that someone was being nice to them.  How hard the world must be, and how unpleasant life must be for someone to be that suspicious of every other person's motives.

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

I am frequently in groups of people of a faith that is not mine, and I get good wishes for days that mean nothing to me.

I take it in stride as someone wishing me the best rather than using it as an excuse to get angry.

Life is too short for always being ticked off.

I am not angry in the least.Or offended, or crabby, or everything else people have accused me of on this thread. My comment is that it's not appropriate for a QVC host to say religious or political stuff.  What's the problem?  Why not change  well wishes as I've suggested multiple times on this thread to include people who don't believe in blessings stuff?  I'm not telling everyone in the world to do that - I'm talking about the aprpropriate things a QVC host should say to his or her audience. Good grief - some people really either don't read correctly or miss the point by a longshot.  Unreal!  

And I do believe 95%-plus people go by Merriam Webster's first definition of "blessing" when using and hearing that term - not the third definition.

I didn't mention crabby or the meaning of the word blessing... speaking of people who don't read correctly.

Many here don't have a problem with it, IMO they shouldn't have to go without just because it makes you angry.

I read perfectly correctly.  I was responding to your post in the context of many previous responses on this thread.  I was addressing your post in a broader context - nowhere did I write that you called me crabby. Surely you seem sophisticated enough to understand "answering in a broader context."  I know who called me crabby and called her out on it.   You continue to misread my posts when you call me angry about it. I am not - can people not have an opposite opinion of yours without your judging them to be angry? For goodness sakes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Blessed has religious connotations whether meant religiously or not. Have a blessed day seems derived from God Bless you. I have to agree with Pearlee, it's not appropriate for a selly channel. It's not offensive,  not disrespectful, just inappropriate.