Honored Contributor

Re: What's With All the Praying?

@hopi wrote:

Q needs to have a forum called OUTRAGE OF THE DAY..

or MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING.

This will really throw you God Bless America.

It must not have been "about nothing" or you wouldn't have responded.

Esteemed Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

As long as you started this thread, I hate when hosts end their show with "Have a blessed day."   Someone did that just yesterday (female host - didn't even know who she is). People should keep religious wishes to themselves; surely Q has some atheist / agnostic viewers.

Wow.  I love and appreciate it when a host says have a blessed day.  We need MORE of that in the world today!

ITA Physicsnut. Blessed has more than one meaning. A definition from Merriam-Webster is “bringing pleasure, contentment or good fortune.” 

Respected Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

hes praying for a new attorney. the one has he retained annoyed the judge

?

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@physicsnut wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

As long as you started this thread, I hate when hosts end their show with "Have a blessed day."   Someone did that just yesterday (female host - didn't even know who she is). People should keep religious wishes to themselves; surely Q has some atheist / agnostic viewers.

Wow.  I love and appreciate it when a host says have a blessed day.  We need MORE of that in the world today!

ITA Physicsnut. Blessed has more than one meaning. A definition from Merriam-Webster is “bringing pleasure, contentment or good fortune.” 

It's first definition (quoted from Merriam Webster online below) is tne one most commonly used and, IMO, the way most people interpret it:

blessed

: having a sacred nature : connected with God

: very welcome, pleasant, or appreciated

—used to make a statement more forceful

Full Definition of BLESSED
a :  held in reverence :  venerated <the blessed saints>

b :  honored in worship :  hallowed <the blessed Trinity>

cbeatific <a blessed visitation>
:  of or enjoying happiness; specifically :  enjoying the bliss of heaven —used as a title for a beatified person
:  bringing pleasure, contentment, or good fortune

Esteemed Contributor

As I said, more than one definition. Thank you for showing them.

Honored Contributor

Blessings aren't always about religion.  Sometimes it's because someone actually cares.  Something we need more of lately. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

As I said, more than one definition. Thank you for showing them.

Yes, more than one, with the others besides the first one rarely - if ever - used or interpreted as displayed in the third definition.

IMO "blessing" has a religious connotation.

Trusted Contributor

@Preds wrote:

Blessings aren't always about religion.  Sometimes it's because someone actually cares.  Something we need more of lately. 

Could not agree more!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

I hate it, too ......   why do people always think that their religion is the only one?      

Christianity is only about one-third of the world population,  making it a minority religion, but many seem totally clueless to that fact.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

He's not praying. He's thanking his lucky stars that he is rich from people buying his expensive wen products.