Respected Contributor

Re: What's A Smell That Evokes a Memory

Even though you seldom see many woman having it done anymore, the odor of permanent wave solution always evokes memories of my time in beauty school.  In those days many women came into our school for permanent waves.  

A couple years ago I went into my hair salon and caught an instant whiff of that odor.  I mentioned it to my stylist and she said that they had a few elderly ladies who still wanted permanent waves done.  

It's a terrible odor but it still brings back happy memories of my days in Hammonds Beauty School.

Frequent Contributor

@SandySparklesI remember the White Shoulders powder.

Frequent Contributor

A shampoo from the 50's that was called "Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific"!  You can still buy it in some Catalogs.

Esteemed Contributor

While growing up we lived across the street from my Grandfather and he had a circle driveway with lilacs

all around the edges...............so whenever i smell lilacs

(the flower) it takes me back to my "Pop"

Honored Contributor

This is so easy for me....

The scent of anise and anisette while recalling my mom's anise biscotti cookies. 

Also, the scent of Sen-Sens breath freshener teeny tiny black licorice squares. 

Her handbags always had that scent inside because she carried Sen-Sens around in her handbag.

There was a time when I used to use Anise extract as my perfume, believe it or not!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

My dad always wore old spice & mom always wore Estée Lauder "youth dew"🙂

but the best smells as a kid were Sunday's at my grandmothers house -- first to mass then to her house for Sunday dinner.

The smell of fresh baked bread, meatballs, sausage, fresh sauce (aka gravy) and fresh homemade pasta.  just thinking about it makes me hungry.

Then after dinner we'd walk over to the neighborhood bakery and get a fresh custard donut...

oh great topic and memories @NewNickname1x1000 😊😊

Honored Contributor

Wow, I might add that this is a fantastic thread topic!

Enjoy reading all of the posts.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY wrote:

Wow, I might add that this is a fantastic thread topic!

Enjoy reading all of the posts.

@ROMARY  Perhaps the OP has been reading Marcel Proust's Remembrance of Things Past.

Honored Contributor

Coppertone.  Growing up in Houston, Mama & Daddy took us to Galveston often in the summertime & Mama would lather me up in Coppertone.  Good times...great memories!  And I still came home red as a little lobster!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Frequent Contributor

@ROMARY   Today was a day of reminiscing and I also enjoy reading all the responses.

@Pearlee  No. I haven't read that, however you have piqued my interest and now I am on a quest. Thank you very much.