Honored Contributor

Re: What "popular" phrases drive you nuts?

"There's no right or wrong answer here!"

Well... sometimes there is.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

sunala wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

Oostende wrote:

FURBABY!!!!

It's a creepy mental image and I really dislike hearing adults use babytalk in everyday discourse.  

It might be cute on a four-year-old but those 5 years of age and older should refrain from using the word.

I've never said 'furbaby', but I have to say that baby talk makes me a little crazy.   I don't like words like hubby, veggies, and a score of others.  I don't begrudge others the words they use, however, as  long as they aren't words of bigotry or hatred but I admit that I do cringe a little with the baby talk words.  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt  - OMG those are my pet peeves as well! I hate words like veggies, hubby (or hubs), nuke, fridge, sammies (for sandwiches) and "nanners" for bananas. I love the English language and hate to hear it being mangled with silly words. 

Personally, I despise when people say "Chill," or "Calm down." Yeah I'll chill and calm down when I'm good and ready, not when you tell me to!! 

Ha!  I swear - I almost included fridge, sammie, and nanner, oh, and taters, but I figured I'd better stop while I was ahead. Smiley Wink

Another one I see here is 'frig'.  I just don't get that one at all.  I guess it's just a form of shortening 'fridge' even more but the sound of the word is completely different.   Frig - rhymes with big and has no meaning of which I'm aware.

Honored Contributor

I hate to hear "the fact of the matter is...".   usually, the person speaking will say that phrase several times before they finish speaking.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

I think "Moving forward" has been done to death.

Give me a break.

LOL

Respected Contributor

When someone starts EVERY statement with, "So...."

It makes me wince.

Esteemed Contributor

"To make a long story short....."

By the time they say that, the story is already too long, and sometimes, they keep going in to detail as they tell the story!

Esteemed Contributor

"lone wolf"

"vetted"

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

I hate when people (mostly younger people), are talking and they say like this like that every other word is like. Example; Like I went to the store and I like bought a magazine. Like it was a really good read. Its so annoying! I have also always hated when people say whatever!. I find it rude.

I also find another use of "like" annoying: When someone says "l was like" instead of "l said."

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Frequent Contributor

My sons:  "I'll figure it out," or "I'm working on it."  Ohhhhhhh.....

Respected Contributor

I just hate the term "senior moment".    I find it disrespectful.  I know it's supposed to be cute and funny but it's so overused.