Respected Contributor

Re: What makes "Impossible Meat" look like meat.

@Mindy D wrote:

@chlema wrote:

@willdob3 Actually not true.  The cave man existed on plants, not meat.  Nothing to do with science or biology.

Then what were they making all these spear heads for?

...Self-defense and clothing/shelter, to name a couple other reasons.  Though they did eat meat and marrow as well Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I am one of those people that thinks why make veggies look like meat?  If you don't like to eat meat then you wouldn't want to eat something looking/smelling/tasting like it.  Just confusing to me is all and the way I see it.  When I eat veggies I like them just as they are...when I eat steak I want a real steak.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, at least the plant people have stopped claiming that centuries ago, the Irish survived on nothing but potatoes and the Chinese survived on rice. 

They ate lamb in Ireland and fish in Asia--sources of complete protein that build red blood cells, muscle strength, without taking vitamin/mineral pills to fill in a gap.

Now., think about it..........what, exactly, was the lifespan of prehistoric humans living  on what is claimed to be a plant diet?  I believe King Tut (not exactly a prehistoric man) died as a teenager. Scientists studying his remains say he had a lot of problems. 

Now we have many people living past age 90 and even past 100, and they are taller and stronger than people hundreds of years ago.

It's amusing  to me that research has shown that big eaters tend to live longer.  I found that just might be true.........my Dad lived until his mid-90s, not fat at all, ate junk food, fattty food, and lots of  meat, dairy  and vegetables.

My husband's aunt, a tiny woman, ate like a horse whenever we'd take her out for dinner, and she died at age 103.  She was raised on a farm where they killed a chicken for dinner and smoked hams in a shed.--Same basic lifestyle  and diet of my Dad when he was growing up.

Lifespans, populations. and the sheer average height and strength of humans just keep increasing, and have been doing so for hundreds of years.

Plants don't guarantee a long life, don't prevent or cure disease, and lots of people live a long time eating just about everything from the traditional "food groups".

Plants do not work miracles all by themselves.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

They ate lamb in Ireland and fish in Asia--sources of complete protein that build red blood cells, muscle strength, without taking vitamin/mineral pills to fill in a gap.

Most every civilization has had a nutritional foundation of plants, grains, starches.

’...build red blood cells, muscle strength...’

Uh.....plants do that, as well.🙄

As for ‘vitamins/minerals’?  

Seems like a lot of meat eaters here in this very forum shove in lots

of processed vitamins from Lessman. PB peeps don’t need

vitamin/mineral pills because we get so much from our food.  

And as for B12?  

Everyone needs that vitamin due to our sanitized food sources, so...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@chlema wrote:

@willdob3 Actually not true.  The cave man existed on plants, not meat.  Nothing to do with science or biology.

@Mindy D 

Oh, that's an easy one.

They used them to spear brussels sprouts and corn on the cob.

Honored Contributor

Back in the middle ages people ate a lot  of plants, the peasants could afford little else

Watching the historical documentaries ,  they always show undernourished people's bones. People were much smaller and shorter back then. A 12 year old child, might look like a 7 year old ,when their bones were examined

Honored Contributor

What we choose to eat is a very personal choice.  There is no right or wrong, we can do as we please.  Our body, our choice.

I will chose not to eat these new veggie burgers.  I prefer not to eat processed anything, including vegetables.

If I want real meat, I will eat it, but not from a fast food joint.    Vegetables are my favorite  food group and I love to eat them raw, roasted and steamed.  Why ruin them by squishing them into another form?

If I want a veggie burger, I prefer a grilled portobello mushroom. I love mushrooms.

Eating clean unprocessed food is my choice.  Apparently it works for me.  I am healthy and take no meds and never get sick.  I just had a physical and everything was perfect..no problems or concerns.

Honored Contributor

Tickles how the anti-vegan people are the ones

talking about this the most.

Just. Don’t. Understand. Why. 🤷‍♀️

Trusted Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@chlema wrote:

@Mindy D 

Oh, that's an easy one.

I've been watching "Mystic Britain" on the Smithsonian Channel.  The show last Monday told about what ancient Britains ate.  

Grains were very important, but they also had access to fish, and most importantly, the native red deer.  

So important was the red deer, that it became a sacred animal, a god or goddess for them.  

They were using bows and arrows at this point, and living in wattle and daub huts, 11,000 years ago they said. 

Trusted Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@chlema wrote:

@Mindy D 

Oh, that's an easy one.

I've been watching "Mystic Britain" on the Smithsonian Channel.  The show last Monday told about what ancient Britains ate.  

Grains were very important, but they also had access to fish, and most importantly, the native red deer.  

So important was the red deer, that it became a sacred animal, a god or goddess for them.  

They were using bows and arrows at this point, and living in wattle and daub huts, 11,000 years ago they said. 

I might also add that every part of the deer was used, from hide to sinews to bones.  The bones were made into tools to scrape and cut with.  Small bones could be made into needles. 

They have found masks made with the antlers and skull bones of deer.  These were used in shamanistic rituals.   

Some of these masks apparently were later used as offerings.  Bone and antler deer masks have been found in the bottom of a lake, and are said to have been offerings into the lake.  

I do believe that even primitive man felt remorse over the taking of another life, and tried to make up for it by giving thanks and considering the animal to be sacred, supernatural, and spiritual.