Honored Contributor

Re: What is your definition of A GOOD HUSBAND? How has your definition changed? What advice would you give to a young woman?

When I married, I was looking for the qualities I admired in my Dad; honest, hard working, good provider, and a caring person. I had also heard the advice as to watch how your prospective husband treats his mother, and saw a deep, caring relationship there as well. Forty years later, this good man is still by my side. The last 6 weeks of my MIL's life, my husband lived with her Monday through Friday, and took care of her round the clock, while his sister and younger brother worked---they provided care for their mother on the weekends. Despite the fact I firmly believe my husband and I are polar opposites, I also feel he is the only man who can even begin to understand me and make me happy.

Honored Contributor

Re: What is your definition of A GOOD HUSBAND? How has your definition changed? What advice would you give to a young woman?

I would be the last person in the world to give advice on that topic. I married twice, picked poorly (for different reasons, they were both high earners), and have been divorced since 1975, never to marry again. I did have one long, sweet relationship, but we never married or lived together, and it ended because of issues with my health.

In between I dated a lot of men, and when I look back, there was nary a one with whom I would have had a successful marriage. We do not have a good track record in my family of nearly 40 from the original four of us.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986