Valued Contributor
I was horrified to read an ABC article about Russian officials hiring hit men to kill the stray dogs in the cities around the Olympics. The article went on to say most Russians don't care for the dogs they get and dump them, so they have thousands upon thousands just in the city. And since they are trying to look civilized to the whole world, setting death traps, poisions and such are being done by these contracted killers. I have tried to be non biased with these Olympics, even with so many reasons to ban them. But with this one it through me over the edge. For the first time in my 45 years I will NOT watch these games. It is shameful how Russia is getting away with all the negative news coming out about how they handled this.
Frequent Contributor

Re: Russia killing strays...

How very sad but, unfortunately, I can't say I'm really surprised. I decided not to watch, too, even before I read this post. I hope it doesn't happen but I fear the terrorists will do something awful, maybe not @the Olympics but close by. (I heard a newsperson say this might happen.) It's bad enough to hear abt it later let alone take the chance of seeing it live. I truly hope there are no "incidents". Guess I'm a coward for not watching but that's the way it is...
Honored Contributor

China (who has a heinous reputation for their never ending, disgusting,appalling and unforgivable animal abuse) did the exact same thing when the Summer Olympics were held there.{#emotions_dlg.angry}

I wish the American athletes much luck and hope that they win more medals than any other country does, but there is no way that I'll watch these Olympic games just as I didn't watch them when they were held in China.

------------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^={#emotions_dlg.wub}

Valued Contributor

I don't understand why the Olympic committee is decreasing it's reputation by choosing countries that are not doing right by humanity? It doesn't make sense. Once upon a time it was an honor to be awarded the rights to hold the games. Now it is all money...and corruption. Makes me sick. Then the OIC has the nerve to discredit athletes that cheat or use drugs. Double standard in my book. I so wish it would go back to what it really stood for.

Trusted Contributor

I have not agreed with the Olympics for many years, and this just reinforces my judgement and feelings............{#emotions_dlg.angry}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Frequent Contributor

Beyond evil. {#emotions_dlg.angry} A pox on all who are killing them. (And no, I'm not sorry I said that, so anyone offended can just pass on by without wasting my time and theirs asking for me to apologize!) {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Super Contributor

On 2/7/2014 JLLH358 said:

Beyond evil. {#emotions_dlg.angry} A pox on all who are killing them. (And no, I'm not sorry I said that, so anyone offended can just pass on by without wasting my time and theirs asking for me to apologize!) {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I'm not offended at all! I'd like to say something even more radical, but the filters would censor me.

(I responded to a similar thread in Viewpoints yesterday, and some told me the USA is no better than Russia or China. I disagree). If those people think Russia and China are so great, why don't they move there then?

Frequent Contributor

On 2/7/2014 Indy-Blonde2 said:
On 2/7/2014 JLLH358 said:

I'm not offended at all! I'd like to say something even more radical, but the filters would censor me.

(I responded to a similar thread in Viewpoints yesterday, and some told me the USA is no better than Russia or China. I disagree). If those people think Russia and China are so great, why don't they move there then?

Ah, yes. The politics of equivalency. It's great, isn't it?? Sorry, but anyone who thinks our laws don't protect animals better than those of Sochi (not to mention China!) has no idea what they're talking about. Not perfect and there's a long way to go, but still waaaayyyy better than the non-existent laws in either of those!

ETA: I saw your post over on the other thread, Indy-blonde! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I won't be watching either. Some may make excuses out of convenience and desire to see the Games, but it's exactly WHERE it's inconvenient that we need to stick to our positions and not dispose of them when they stand in the way of something we want!