Respected Contributor

Re: What is with the censorship?

sahmIam wrote:  What I have noticed ( and a few others as this topic has come up on a couple of other forums) is that the mods only deleate that which they don't agree/support themselves; in other words, they are hypocrites.

There have been som UGLY things said on many threads and yet, those posts remain. A few posts later, a person states an opinion opposite than the majority and it's removed...no foul language, nothing cruel/rude/offensive but definitely not in agreement with the majority.

At first, It was more of a "why'd they poof that?".  Then, I started thinking "wait, they didn't poof THAT offensive post (and others like it) but poofed THAT unoffensive post?!" Then I noticed a trend, sent an email and thought "maybe it's just me" until....a saw posts as how others had noticed the same trend.

Shame QVC couldn't hire people that could stay bias and allow freedom of speech to play out. As someone stated "it's their site". Yep, so I post about about candles, sheets and blusher. I go elsewhere for anything else. 

There was recently a thread wherein I was pointedly accused of being a liar, among other ugly things.  That post was allowed to stand until I contacted the Moderator beforehand saying that I intended to respond to it.  It was deleted within minutes. Go figure.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@Marp -- I get how to call up my posting history but not how to have the most recent posts first.

@tansy

If you always want the newest post first go to your settings, preferences, linear layout and select newest first in the first setting option.

If you only want the newest first for a particular thread click on Topic Options at the top of the first page above the OP and select sort topics newest to oldest.

@Marp

You are awesome! Thank you for these tips too!

Smiley love 085.gif
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

The moderators can't act on posts that are not pointed out to them. If you feel a post is mean-spirited, rude, political or any of the other types of inappropriate, if you don't let the moderators know and bring it to their attention, odds are very high they will never even be aware of it. People tend to assume it's been done and then wonder why it isn't "gone." Well - maybe the moderators have *not* been pointed in that direction yet - so why be upset with them if they don't even see it?

OTOH, some people base their reporting on who rather than what, and this will of course skew the results. 

And some people feel it's random and biased when in fact it's largely appropriate except for the "who" reporters.

Anyone who feels that posts are "unfairly" NOT being deleted should ask themselves if they aren't contributing to that by not doing all that they could be doing when they see a post that they feel is truly against standards.

But ya can't win 'em all. It's never going to be 100% the way any one person wants it to be.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I don't view it as "censorship". The moderators are following rules and/or procedures given them by their employer. Like with our "Laws of the Land", they are subject 

to interpretation and perception. If not? There would be little need for lawyers.

While there are many threads/posts removed that I do not understand, it is not my personal website or bulletin board. The word censorship seems a little too strong a word to me for what moderators choose to do.

I try to follow the rules set forth(much of the time) and accept that for what is meant to be. The only thing I completely control is my adult hockey league. I make rules and if they are not followed? A player becomes a former player.

The things in life I can control is 1 of my main objectives in my life. Those I cannot control I can only hope for the best.

That would be my view on this topic, but by all means this does not mean I have made my share, or more, of noise about this topic. I just choose not to see it as anyone censoring what I can and cannot say on this bulletin board.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

I don't view it as "censorship". The moderators are following rules and/or procedures given them by their employer. Like with our "Laws of the Land", they are subject 

to interpretation and perception. If not? There would be little need for lawyers.

While there are many threads/posts removed that I do not understand, it is not my personal website or bulletin board. The word censorship seems a little too strong a word to me for what moderators choose to do.

I try to follow the rules set forth(much of the time) and accept that for what is meant to be. The only thing I completely control is my adult hockey league. I make rules and if they are not followed? A player becomes a former player.

The things in life I can control is 1 of my main objectives in my life. Those I cannot control I can only hope for the best.

That would be my view on this topic, but by all means this does not mean I have made my share, or more, of noise about this topic. I just choose not to see it as anyone censoring what I can and cannot say on this bulletin board.

"And that's the way it is." - Walter Cronkite

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When they don't agree with some it's censorship, when they do...crickets. *eyeroll*Cat Indifferent

Or should I say quack quack. Cat Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

@Melania2 wrote:

When they don't agree with some it's censorship, when they do...crickets. *eyeroll*Cat Indifferent

Exactly. And while some say "I don't see it as censorship" when asked "Then what is it?" there is never an explanation that doesn't fall directly under the definition of the word. 

Respected Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Melania2 wrote:

Exactly. And while some say "I don't see it as censorship" when asked "Then what is it?" there is never an explanation that doesn't fall directly under the definition of the word. 

The word censorship for it is wrong. I shouldn't have used it.  The quest to feel controlled and abused is way overused here.

It is moderation.  Their board their RULES. It's nothing new.

Why do so many not get that?

Esteemed Contributor

@Melania2 wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Melania2 wrote:

The word censorship for it is wrong. I shouldn't have used it.  The quest to feel controlled and abused is way overused here.

It is moderation.  Their board their RULES. It's nothing new.

Why do so many not get that?

Moderation is avoiding extremes in one's behavior and political opinions. Extremes are expressed, they are then deleted, and that falls directly into the definition of censorship.

People do get it. They also get that it's censorship when something deemed unduly controversial is deleted from the board. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, that we don't agree to it, or that they have the right to do it. I personally couldn't are less about the censorship but why be so afraid to call it what it is? 

Honored Contributor

this sounds like a great definition of a FORUM MODERATORat qvc:

A forum moderator oversees the communication activity of an Internet forum. He monitors the interchange of contributors and makes decisions regarding content and the direction of threads. Moving discussions from one section to another to keep topics organized is also a common job for a forum moderator.

If the tone of a forum becomes hostile or starts to move in the direction of personal attacks, the forum moderator usually has the discretion to lock the discussion to prevent heated, interchanges. He may also be able to hide discussions he deems unworthy of further discussion. Conversely, topics he feels deserve further examination can be posted indefinitely by the moderator even if they garner no comments.

Moderator duties are as diverse as the forum topics themselves. Some moderators are virtually invisible; they surface only when situations arise that do not seem likely to resolve themselves. Other forum moderators are always there, ready to intercede at the smallest hint of discourse. Public forum moderators often have to enforce many rules of conduct and decorum, as public contributors tend to communicate without abandon, which can sometimes upset other commenters.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein