Respected Contributor

Re: What is the name of that movie with Gloria Swanson?

On 10/29/2014 sylviahomeatlast said:

I also love "Now, Voyager" there is the scene at, near the end when he picks up two cigarettes and puts them in his mouth and offers a fatally ill Bette Davis one "Shall we have a cigarette?" or something on that order.

Close, but no cigar, or cigarette. Paul Henreid does light up 2 cigs at once in Now Voyager, but it happens more than once & not just at the end. Also, Bette Davis is not fatally ill in that movie. Maybe you're thinking of Dark Victory where she has a brain tumor & marries her doctor.

Respected Contributor

I also love "Now, Voyager" there is the scene at, near the end when he picks up two cigarettes and puts them in his mouth and offers a fatally ill Bette Davis one "Shall we have a cigarette?" or something on that order.

No, she wasn't dying in "Now Voyager" but she was in "Dark Victory."{#emotions_dlg.sad} In "Now Voyager" he was already married and I think divorce was out of the question. So she decided that just seeing him was enough.

They don't make movies like that today. That's why I love watching TCM.Smile

Super Contributor

I googled Gloria Swanson movies and saw one called Father Takes a Bride with Adolphe Menjou. Apparently it bombed at the box office but it features a very young, very handsome Desi Arnaz.

Respected Contributor

Since so many of the channels are showing old "scary" movies right now, watch out for the original Invisible Man (1933). Look for Gloria Stuart, who played the senior Rose in Titanic. Yes, what a dish!

Honored Contributor

On 10/29/2014 VCamp2748 said:

Since so many of the channels are showing old "scary" movies right now, watch out for the original Invisible Man (1933). Look for Gloria Stuart, who played the senior Rose in Titanic. Yes, what a dish!

I've never seen the original "Invisible Man." Thanks for the suggestion, VCamp. I'm a huge fan of old movies, and don't know what I'd do without TCM,

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

On 10/29/2014 dooBdoo said:

Since so many of the channels are showing old "scary" movies right now, watch out for the original <em>Invisible Man</em> (1933). Look for Gloria Stuart, who played the senior Rose in <em>Titanic</em>. Yes, what a dish!

I've never seen the original "Invisible Man." Thanks for the suggestion, VCamp. I'm a huge fan of old movies, and don't know what I'd do without TCM,

Yeah, me too. Though right now I have a problem in that I need to cut my cable bundle waaaay back because it's getting too expensive. I just don't want to give up TCM. Oh, well, I'll figure something out, I suppose.

Honored Contributor

Mr Sylvia says we have ""half-zeimers""

Have also heard it called ""some-timers"".

Valued Contributor

Close, but no cigar, or cigarette. Paul Henreid does light up 2 cigs at once in Now Voyager, but it happens more than once & not just at the end. Also, Bette Davis is not fatally ill in that movie. Maybe you're thinking of Dark Victory where she has a brain tumor & marries her doctor.

You are absolutely right. I love Bette Davis and I've gotten them mixed up {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Valued Contributor

I watched ""Marni"" this afternoon

Valued Contributor

I still think 'The Incredible Shrinking Man"" is terrifying