Respected Contributor

Re: What is the Most Risky Thing You Have Ever Done?

@thisbe wrote:

Leaving my 6 year old son behind with my sister, I moved to Peru for 3 months in the early 90's when the Sendero Luminosa (communist terrorist group) was killing people and bombing banks, restaurants, railways frequested by foreigners.  There was not a travel ban in effect but State Dept. strongly recommended not travelling to Peru then.  If State Dept. employees or their family members left the country, the State Dept. did not permit them to return.  Right before my arrival, the group bombed a restaurant (killing a number of people) near where I was moving. I was there for an adoption. While there I helped another adopting mother and her baby who were staying in the house where I was living to stealthily move to another location because the police were trying to shake her down for money (was common for police to hold up adoptions if bribes were not paid to them, and this woman and the baby had already been waiting a year to be allowed to leave the country).  Later I had to explain to the police that I had no idea where she was.  I returned home briefly to bring my older son and my sister to Peru. While we were there, the group bombed a bank around the corner from the house where we were staying.  Despite all the surrounding drama, everyone I met there (or even passed on the street) was nothing but kind and helpful.  It is a beautiful country.

Back home, before and after trip to Peru, I represented capital defendants and death row inmates for over 30 years so I guess I was used to a fairly high level of drama.  

Wow...this really sounds scary and dangerous. I don't think I would have had the nerve to do what you did!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

I 2009, DH and I were visiting my brother in Az.  We went looking at a 55+ Del Webb community.  We had seen it 3 years prior when only the models had been constructed.  In 2009 the housing bubble burst and prices dropped significantly.

We viewed a SPEC home and bought it the next day.  We have been snowbirds ever since but this fall we are making the permanent move.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe I was 17 when this happened.  Chicago Democratic Convention at the Hilton across from the Grant park.  There were thousands of people.  So my girlfriends and I decide to take the El downtown to see the action.  Well, we did.  We got into the park and all the people started yelling "sit down" and the National Guard had their rifles out aimed at the crowd in the park.  My friends and I left the park and went home.  Too much violence could break out any minute.  It was quite a risky experience.   Cat Wink

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

White water rafting.  And equally risky on one of the trips was the bus trip back to the lodge.  The bus was "vintage", to say the least.  But worse than that, we had to go up a narrow steep dirt road with no guard rail!  I was so proud to have made it through the rafting trip, but mostly thankful to be alive after the bus trip back!!!!!!!!

Same experience.  In the 70s, coworkers and I would white water raft in W. Virginia.  We'd meet a guide/bus driver and drive about 45 minutes away most of which was offroad on a tiny one way path with no guardrails.   Ride there was more harrowing than the actual rafting.  The saddest part was that all along the path were literally shacks slapped together with tons of pieces of old wood/cardboard teetering on a steep cliff - sad to think ppl lived in these - just like the ads they used to run for ppl living in the Appalachian areas with no food, running water, etc. - the poorest of poor.   

Respected Contributor

Back when I was 25 and living in Germany, I said (for no reason what-so-ever) that I was going to move to America.  Considering that I did not know anyone here or speak any English, people were holding me to it, knowing that I would never do it.  Well, I did come here.  And now, more than 50 years later, it worked out pretty well.

Respected Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

Back when I was 25 and living in Germany, I said (for no reason what-so-ever) that I was going to move to America.  Considering that I did not know anyone here or speak any English, people were holding me to it, knowing that I would never do it.  Well, I did come here.  And now, more than 50 years later, it worked out pretty well.

Brave...and Bravo!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

I confronted a drug dealer and his customers. 

Eight years ago I worked for a non-profit that assisted homeless families with becoming self-sufficient. Our office was located in a pretty shady area where drug dealing and gang members roamed the streets at all hours. We were housed in an apartment complex where the families in the program lived. We had a large open parking lot in the front and back which attracted drug dealers and people who liked to loiter all day. The facilities manager was usually the one to kick trespassers out. 

One day, I was in the office and saw a teenage boy on a bike and a car of four young girls pull up in the front lot. I saw bike boy hand a baggie of white stuff over to the passenger side window. I ran out the door heading towards them and yelled at them to get off the property and I'd be calling the police. They tore out of there and I called the police. I don't know if they were caught and looking back I was pretty lucky that none of them pulled out a weapon. 

We got security cameras not long after that, but just a year later I was out of that job. 

Respected Contributor

I can't recall what the most risky thing was that I have ever done, but I know one thing for sure, I sure have done a whole lot of stupid things in my life. It's a wonder I am still here. Cat Surprised

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

Very interesting thread!

I've not done real risky things but I have gone four wheel driving up the side of a mountain, thought we were going to flip over. Went white water rafting and got a 

Tattoo Smiley Surprised 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never was much of a risk taker.  I've lived somewhat cautiously because I figured this was the only body I got.   

But...

I dated someone the summer after I graduated high school who was really into cars.  He had the kind with the big tires and the back all jacked up.  He often entered "professional" races. 

One evening we were out and I was sitting next to him when I realized that after he had talked with someone, they were going to drag race just outside of town.  He should have put me out of the car -- because next thing I realized was that we were racing down a not-well-traveled highway with someone else.  Back then, we didn't wear seatbelts. I was very scared.   

When I think about how fast we were going, with no seatbelts, it scares me to think what might have happened. It was really stupid, too.