Respected Contributor

Re: What is it Called when Someone...

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoud  Confabulation and Rationalization come to my mind.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Esteemed Contributor

gaslighting

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

No - it's more like they can't admit they made a mistake. There's an actual name for it.

@ThinkingOutLoud   You are submitting two different behaviors.  First you bring up an example of a person saying he/she stayed up all night as an exaggeration.

Now you are submitting "it's more like they can't admit they made a mistake".

So you have a person who didn't tell the truth about working all night (lie)

and then you have a person who cannot admit to a mistake.

*So my question is-which one are you most interested because all these posts about the person being a pathological liar is only a symptom not a diagnosis.

A person who cannot admit to making a mistake  has a fragile ego and will continue to "prove a point' over an over even when opposite facts are presented.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I would call them self absorbed.  The are so full of their own importance they can't fathom that they are not right all the time. 

They present their options strongly as fact when it's just an opinion.  They are critical and demeaning of those with a different opinion and unkind.

Honored Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

goes to the extreme to justify their action or try to win a point? Kind of like exaggerating but there's a term for when people do this over and over again. Can't think of it and it's bugging me. Any ideas?

For example - they say they were up all night doing something when they were only up till 1am.

~~~~~~~

@ThinkingOutLoud 

Prevaricator?.

Is it a diagnosis in the DSM that you are looking for?

(see "DSM-5" in Wikipedia)

@MakeUpMaidn    DSM-5-TR (2022 Text Revision)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Embelish?  No matter what the circumstance  is, they always exaggerate it a little more.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Histrionic?

Also in Narcissistic Personality Disorder a common behavior is they can't or won't admit they made a mistake. Without having the disorder, not admitting mistakes is a trait commonly found in persons with narcissistic traits. Narcissistic?

Sociopathic? 

Incorrigible?

Obstinate?

Respected Contributor

Hypocritical? Hypocrite? Egotist? Braggart? Blusterer? Exhibitionist? Windbag? Know-it-all? Bigmouth? Boaster? Braggadocio? Egomaniac? Self-aggrandizer? Flaunter?

Honored Contributor

Wallpaper? I figured since other people are just tossing out random words that are unrelated to OP's question, I would to....lol

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud @Could you give another example and set up the circumstance surrounding the example. Right now it's hard to determine if you need the name of the behavior or if you need the name of the personality type, trait or disorder that displays it.