Respected Contributor

What if masks were available and free?

It seems that unless or until a treatment or vaccine we have few options for staying healthy. Our only options are self quarantine, social distancing, face masks, hand washing and personal healthy habits (avoid touching face, eating well, mental health).

What if N95 masks were readily available to all at no or little cost?

What if disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer was free or at little cost? We are told that the virus is airborne and can linger on surfaces. 

What if testing was available at no cost? If you are infected you will know and will be less likely to spead. 

What if it was easier and cheaper to get people the tools they need to reduce the risk of being infected rather than self isolation? This might be the only and best option unless or until a treatment or vaccine is available. 

Respected Contributor

Re: What if masks were available and free?

Nothing is free......we will have to pay for it in the long run.

Super Contributor

True but unfortunately many people would not use them even if they were free and readily available. If you look at the news, people are not responsing well to security guards, park rangers, etc telling them to socially distance or wear masks. 

Honored Contributor

@granddiYou're more optimistic than I am.   I believe the same maskless people claiming their rights would be claiming their right to avoid wearing even a free mask.  Seems masks just aren't necessary or appropriate for some.

Further, from what I've read about those who have to wear the N95 as they try to surive, that mask can be horrendously uncomfortable.  Maybe it's not if you're sitting sit or are in a quite dry environment, but seriously can you imagine going to a movie in an N95, shopping for a new dress in one, attending a wedding at which everyone wore an N95?

I do think the supplies we need to be safe should be available and those who truly can't afford should have free access.  I don't believe the whole nation needs those things to be free

Honored Contributor

Some people will wear them, some won't.  It may or may not do you any good to wear one.  Nobody REALLY knows. 

Isn't that about the sum of the story?  

Honored Contributor

@granddi 

“What if” is generally a waste of time and energy.

I prefer a pretty sure thing - avoiding contact with people - over things that may or may not prevent my being infected. So much depends on the other people and they often think they are healthy when they have the virus. It simply isn’t worth the risk to me. 

I am am not isolated. I’m alone at home but I’m in contact with others throughout the day. I’m definitely not lonely or bored. 

I have no no plans to stand in line to take part in any experimental vaccine rushed through so that some drug company can get make billions with something that doesn’t work very well if at all and that almost certainly comes with pretty bad side effects.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After what I just watched I'm not wearing mine anymore. Not staying home. Doing what I want to do. Hard to believe what's going on right before our eyes. I knew this was happening but now I know it's true. I'm not nuts.

I'm not taking their vaccine either. Not even if they try to mandate it.

Honored Contributor

There is still a significant portion of people who don't see this as all that dangerous, no more so than the seasonal flu.

Short of someone they love suffering terribly from it, they just won't 'get it'. 

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

After what I just watched I'm not wearing mine anymore. Not staying home. Doing what I want to do. Hard to believe what's going on right before our eyes. I knew this was happening but now I know it's true. I'm not nuts.

@Nightowlz 

What did you just watch?

Honored Contributor

The best knowledge scientists have now say social distancing,masks, and cleanliness tamp down the virus. 

Statistics worldwide show it helps slow the transmission.

We have always had to live with the best knowledge science has at the time, but that knowledge doesn't guarantee and it changes with research and experience.  

Do I wish science knew the weapon that will defeat this new virus?  I wish, but in the meantime, I'm taking a chance for life following their best guesses because those recommendations are based on the facts they have right now -  not on hopes and wishes and bravado brushing away the danger