Respected Contributor

Re: What does your name mean? Do you like it?

I never liked my name.  Still don't but I now see that it means

"defender of the people' and that does fit .  I never understood why they didn't name me Joann/Joanna.  My mother's name was Ann and my father's only sister was called Jo.  I would have preferred that.  Long time friends call me by my initials and I like that.  Family call me by my nickname for 'aunt'.  I love that one. 

Ah, a woman of many names.  😀

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tototwo   Even though I don't love my name, I accepted it a long time ago. It is a very old name and I rarely ever hear it. My school teachers usually got it wrong.  My middle name is a pretty name and is after a grandmother I loved dearly.

One day when I mentioned it again to my mother, she   told me I was named after a very special lady who took her under her wing when she married and went to live in San Diego with my Dad.  He was stationed in the Navy there.  That woman came by plane to meet me here in Indiana ( I was about 9 yrs. old) all the way from California.  Mom was right about her.  She was quite special so I just kept quiet about it after that. 

Esteemed Contributor

i like my name ONLY because it was my mother's name, too....wasn't common practice back in the 50's....usually boys were named after their fathers....my mom died at a young age...57....so i'm glad i have her name.....thanks, mom.....

Honored Contributor

I like my actual name, however it has a more common nickname that everyone uses. I tried to encourage people to use my actual name but I've given up. 🙁

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Mine means to conquer, victory. Spelled a bit differently than others might spell it. No one ever gets it right.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I too am a Linda!
My Mother was born and raised in Hawaii..She wanted to name me Leilani. Growing up, I was glad that I was a Linda and not Leilani. Now I sort of wish that she had named me Leilani!

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

i like my name ONLY because it was my mother's name, too....wasn't common practice back in the 50's....usually boys were named after their fathers....my mom died at a young age...57....so i'm glad i have her name.....thanks, mom.....

@nana59   Your so right.  That wasn't common back then. Good for your mom!  She really did something very special for you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My means Captivated or Captivating.  Of course there were lots of other articles about Beyonces' meaning to the name.    I have always liked my name.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I got an either/or name. Was supposed to be a boy. It's okay and I was named after a girl movie star in the 50s by the same name and spelling with a Y at the end.

I prefer my fb name - not this one that shows, Teddy was my dogs name.

People get a kick out of saying my fb name on air. lol 

Honored Contributor

My parents named me after my aunt (first name) and an old family friend (second name) but with a slight twist of spelling.

Both names were used for awhile, as in "Mary Clare"  (not my name) but apparently while still tiny, I dubbed myself by the middle name, and it stuck. 

I like it, get usually favorable, curious comments on it because of the offbeat, medieval spelling of it.  Interestingly, it has meanings in English, Manx, (Manx is a form of old Irish, I think, spoken on the Isle of Man in Britain), old Anglo Saxon, Welsh and I think at least one other language I can't think of!  The meanings of it are not the same across all of the languages, predictably.