Super Contributor

Re: What does it mean when you say ""and that's all""?

On 9/13/2014 Seattlegirl98026 said: Yes, I think chickenbutt and terrier are correct. Their speech is scripted and they are told to ask what they do. In many businesses, there are "secret shoppers" or "secret diners" who go undercover to evaluate their employees' performances. The workers are not trying to be annoying, they are trying to keep their jobs.

BINGO!

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Super Contributor

On 9/13/2014 judgejudith said:

This is kind of of related...but you have to stretch it a bit. I think we as a nation have a very short attention spans. And I really think "we" are not paying attention, we are kind of on an automatic pilot of sorts. We only hear part of what is said to us.

Related but not really. I was looking at a couple of old "1960's" Life magazines yesterday and the thing that really struck me was how long the ads were and how much you really had to read to get the message. Those ads would not work today because we have short attention spans.

I notice that as well! Copywriting was as much a science as it was an art in earlier decades. We are much more visual now and the need is to get all of the touch points covered in as short a time as possible to accommodate the public's short attention spans.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Respected Contributor

Yes, they're instructed to say such things. No, it doesn't bother me. Too little of an issue to get even a little upset about since they're just doing their job for little pay.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it probably becomes automatic. They have hundreds/thousands of customers each day, and they just recite their scripted and automatic last sentence(s). It seems to me......

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Boy, sounds like you are easily irritated....... Remember, they are only doing their job.

Honored Contributor

On 9/13/2014 Seattlegirl98026 said: Yes, I think chickenbutt and terrier are correct. Their speech is scripted and they are told to ask what they do. In many businesses, there are "secret shoppers" or "secret diners" who go undercover to evaluate their employees' performances. The workers are not trying to be annoying, they are trying to keep their jobs.

Exactly what I think. In addition, it clarifies that the customer has nothing more to add to the order. It's not something that's ever bothered me.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Reminds me of when I used to live close to a Burger King and once in a blue moon I'd go to the drive thru and order a Whopper Junior. I'd say 'whopper junior with lettuce and pickles only please" . The person would always ask if I wanted cheese on it!!! First of all, I said "only" and second I didn't order a cheeseburger. Finally I started saying "whopper junior and ALL i want on it is pickles and lettuce." That usually did the trick. Usually.
Esteemed Contributor

I noticed that almost every time I go to the supermarket and ask for paper bags, they pick up numerous items and ask if I want it bagged. After several times I just want to yell " of course I want everything bagged!!"

Honored Contributor

Once and a while that happens. I usually end the order with that'll do it.
Honored Contributor

On 9/13/2014 judgejudith said:

This is kind of of related...but you have to stretch it a bit. I think we as a nation have a very short attention spans. And I really think "we" are not paying attention, we are kind of on an automatic pilot of sorts. We only hear part of what is said to us.

Related but not really. I was looking at a couple of old "1960's" Life magazines yesterday and the thing that really struck me was how long the ads were and how much you really had to read to get the message. Those ads would not work today because we have short attention spans.

Not all of us.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices