Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think of painting bricks on a home

It's an individual choice based on individual aesthetics, but the argument that it requires upkeep falls flat with me... Almost anything done to our homes requires upkeep... Frame and trim need to be patched and painted, the roof needs to be patched and replaced, concrete needs to be repaired, brick needs to be pointed, grass needs to be cut shrubs need to be pruned, etc... If one enjoys the look of painted brick, then maintenance is a given and the price one chooses to pay but again, the frequency and extent of touch-ups and repainting is overstated by some, assuming a good painter and good paint were used in the first place. As for some of the homes pictured where the whitewash or paint is either wearing off or was applied to look 'weathered', it's not a look that appeals to everyone, but clearly it appeals to some.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Yuck!

Super Contributor

When we lived in the Midwest, we had a lovely fireplace with natural color brick. We recently bought this lovely old Cape in NJ, and inherited a white fireplace.  I have to say I like both.