Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think of painting bricks on a home

@silver fox wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

Image result for white wash brick homesThis on the other hand is a mess !!!!  Whar a BAD paint job !!  Also I would never paint a brick house White, so.boring !! A nice Whitewash would have looked so much better.  As far as paint goes I would only paint brick in a light Taupe. maybe a light Yellow or Gray  

Really?  I love this.  The worn areas are deliberate.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@faeriemoon Ok tell us a little about your home cause now you have me curious.

@dex  Having re-read my post, I'm mortified that it might sound braggy.  My house is just a style that is quite atypical for my area.  Added to that, we purchased it unfinished, as the original owner started building it over ten years ago then passsed away, so the house and grounds were very neglected.  The decrepid structure had been an eyesore for all those years until we bought it and finished it.  The combination of those two factors make it very recognizable in my town.  

Honored Contributor

I like the German Smear/mortar wash look.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon I didn't think you were bragging but I thought you might have given the place an artistic flair and so I was curious.Sounds like you had a large project getting your home completed.I bet everyone in your area is well aware of your home and pleased that you gave it a new life.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't stand brick painted white but unless the HOA has something in writing I don't see what they can do. My neighborhood has houses with brick and stone as well. There are a few that were built by contractors with brick and they painted it white. 

While I can't stand it, this trend is really getting popular. I think it looks very tacky but I don't know what these neighbors think they can do. This look is really increasing in popularity according to some contractors I know and they do mostly high end homes $1 million and up.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 What I don't get is if you want a painted house why use brick..why not wood.To me brick is so beautiful naturally and needs little care.

Honored Contributor

I notice on HGTV that the designers are trying to push that brick is passe and when they do these remodeling shows likme fixer upper or flip or flop, they always paint out the brick.

Our home in Pa they used antique used brick they obtained when an old  brewery had been knocked down. There had been signs painted the brick years before and the whole antique brick with the occasional one that had some paint on it was pretty cool looking. Of course, being an antique lover, the history of those bricks was precious to me. Anyway, the new owners didn't like that the brick looked old and they painted it.So much for cool history.

Honored Contributor

I like painted brick.  When I bought the house I live in I painted brick planters to match the house and I also painted a large brick fireplace in the family room a soft white.  I personally would not buy a brick house but I think they look fine painted.  

Honored Contributor

On Fixer Upper they do paint a lot of brick homes but not ones that are 5 years old. I think painting brick can really look good but yes, there is more maintenance.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I like painted brick.  When I bought the house I live in I painted brick planters to match the house and I also painted a large brick fireplace in the family room a soft white.  I personally would not buy a brick house but I think they look fine painted.

We have a kitchen fireplace and had one in our previous home.  Both are/were painted.