Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you think of kids playing on someone's property who's away?

[ Edited ]

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

I would do this..........go outside as if you're doing a task - like taking out the garbage and say - boys, do you have permission to play here - - Mrs. X isn't home.

Sometimes a little confrontation & question from an adult will send them homeward bound if the answer is no.

I don't think this is a great idea. 

You shouldn't be announcing that your neighbor is not home to people.

Just leave it until the neighbor comes home.

Yes.  And she also shouldn't be interjecting herself so forcefully into a situation that involves someone else's property. 

There's no need for a confrontation with the kids.  They may have permission to be there, and even if they don't, they're not doing anything awful.  Why turn it into something dramatic?  It's unnecessary.

What I would do is wait for the neighbor to come home, and then casually mention that kids were playing there.  Neighbors should look out for each other, and it sounds as though she's a friend and not just a neighbor.  She'll either be fine with it or not, but she can handle things from there.  Easy and done. This doesn't have to turn into a whole big thing.

Honored Contributor

I would ask their parents if they are aware the homeowner is out of town.
Respected Contributor

Unless your kids are invited to do so, I think it's very rude!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Our house backs up to the golf course, so there are houses on both sides of the course.  We see the backs of their homes, they see ours.  There are signs all over the course that state "for golfers only".  No one is allowed to walk the cart track.  A couple summers ago, neighbors across the course had 2 boys who played on the greens in the evening after the golfers finished.  The greens have to be in near perfect condition for the golfers.  I told these boys that they were not allowed to play on the course, they ignored me.  Their mother also ignored me.  After seeing them out there most evenings, I called the course manager.  He was well aware of them as complaints had been made previously.  He said he'd call the parents.  That did no good, because the boys continued to use the course as their own play area.  I kept the manager informed and he told me he and another employee visited the house, but the parents wouldn't allow them in.  We have a generation of youngsters who think the rules don't apply to them because the parents can't be bothered to enforce them.  They aren't doing their children any favors. 

Honored Contributor

A few rotten apples does not mean all apples are rotten.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Unless I was specifically asked to "keep an eye on things while I'm away" .... and unless they were actually causing damage (breaking windows, trampling plants, etc.)   I would just ignore it.  I'm not the neighborhood monitor.

If I had been asked to keep an eye on things ... I'd just call the cops and tell them that someone is trespassing.  I wouldn't confront anyone myself.  

Otherwise - I'd call the cops if they were damaging the property.