Respected Contributor

Re: What do you do with old sheets?

[ Edited ]

I use pillow cases as dust covers for my out -of-season or scarcely worn clothes, cutting slight hole for hangers to go through.  Cutting/sewing sheets to make more so that they match in closet.  Especially good for dark blazers.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I agree with the local animal shelter if you have one. Ours runs on donations only and really need towels, sheets,etc.

Can I add to that @proudlyfromNJ , detergent - they always need cleaning stuff and laundry stuff, too.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I agree with the local animal shelter if you have one. Ours runs on donations only and really need towels, sheets,etc.

Can I add to that @proudlyfromNJ , detergent - they always need cleaning stuff and laundry stuff, too.

@eddyandme  Yes, you are right. They need so much it's sad. Luckily they ask for help on our towns FB and always get answers from folks saying 'Amazon will be delivering.....in a few days. 

Honored Contributor

Yes!  I like the idea of using sheets in the closet to prevent dust on clothing.

Also, since I'm lazy, maybe I'll use one whole sheet and drape the entire sheet over the top of the closet rod. ?

But I do like the tip of cutting a hole for an individual hanger to fit through.  

Also, using pillow cases to store sweaters, etc. on closet shelves.

Perfect!

Donating sheets and blankets to pets in shelters is wonderful. 

Making sure they aren't heavily scented, as many cats (maybe dogs) are sensitive to chemicals/strong fragrances. 

They acquire allergies, too.  

The best of health and luck and love to all pets.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

There are many posts here for donating to animal surgery and rescue centers.

Hiw about human shelters....for wome, men, families ?  Definitely wash sheet, pillowcases and place in sets in individual see-through bags with a label " washed, size Queen and # of cases "

With the pandemic and number of job losses, this may help families tremendously.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

We use them for drop cloths sometimes and also to cover our two sofas because of the animals.  Hard to have anything nice when you have animals. We would never qualfiy for a photo spread in Better Homes and Gardens.  When the sheets get full of cat hair they get thrown out...there's no way I'm going to clog up my washer by throwing them in there.  So...it's part of our routine and if we don't have any old sheets on hand we buy an inexpensive top sheet from Walmart. 

Respected Contributor

Seriously?  Try a different charity. 

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

There are many posts here for donating to animal surgery and rescue centers.

Hiw about human shelters....for wome, men, families ?  Definitely wash sheet, pillowcases and place in sets in individual see-through bags with a label " washed, size Queen and # of cases "

With the pandemic and number of job losses, this may help families tremendously.

@jlkz 
Great suggestion for those so inclined. I prefer to donate to the animal shelters.