Honored Contributor

Re: What do you do with old sheets?

I donate them to our animal rescue group and the Humane Society along with old pillows, blankets and towels.

They really, really appreciate them.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@gellen wrote:
I have many sets that are in good shape. Try just don’t fit our new mattress. The thrift shop won’t take them Any thoughts? Thanks

@gellen - When you say thrift shop, do you mean the Salvation Army or Goodwill won't take them?  I wasn't aware of that.

I've donated towels to the local animal shelter in the past and I think they'd take sheets, too, for bedding.

Respected Contributor

Please look up Freecycle.org to see if there are branches where you live. I have used it a few times to find homes for items I no longer needed.  I gave away canning jars, embroidery thread.  People will also post for items they need.   You also might want to check with other local thrift shops.  I know I have seen sheet sets at our local Salvation Army.

Honored Contributor

sometimes my husband uses them as things to lay down on the ground when he works on something outside.  

Honored Contributor

I color my own hair and use them to cover bathroom walls and floors and vanity.

I have never known a charity that wont accept sheets. 

Trusted Contributor

Old towels and blankets I donate to local animal shelter. Old sheets I save to cover my plants when temps drop below 35 here in FL. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's a "tent" at our local green market (April-November) that takes fabrics in any condition to recycle.  All my clothes, towels, sheets, etc. go to them.

Check around for a recycler in your area.

ETA:  If you are creative - check out some books on fabric crafts.  Lots of things you an do with old sheets.

Honored Contributor

I donate stuff like that to our vets kennel.  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

I donate my to the Humane Society/Animal Shelter.  They desprestly need sheets, blankets, towels, etc.  Also need cleaning supplies and paper towels, etc.  

Respected Contributor

@gellen wrote:
I have many sets that are in good shape. Try just don’t fit our new mattress. The thrift shop won’t take them Any thoughts? Thanks

Toss 'em...especially if even a thrift shop won't take them.

A while back I bought some sheets that I slept on once and knew I didn't like them.Too much hassle to send 'em back so I laundered them in very hot water and bleach, and wrapped them up for donation. I put a note on them explaining they'd been used only once, had laundered them, etc. No problem donating them.