Honored Contributor

Re: What did you think of Super Bowl halftime?

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac  I didn't watch the halftime live because of all of the drama the day before about the hologram.  Of course, my facebook lit up after the show.  You know I got opinions about this Woman Tongue

1.  It is not a required element to do a tribute to Prince just because you

happen to be in Minneapolis.  

2.  A tribute is one thing, a duet with the dead is another.  I didn't like it the

time Natalie did it with Nat for Unforgettable years ago then again,

it was her dad so I gave her a pass on it.

3.  Prince didn't care for holograms and the concept of duets with the

dead.  Ditching the hologram and putting his image on a sheet

so you can sing with him was a technicality to get JT what he wanted

and not tick off the fans.  See I remember the MJ hologram from years

ago and the was some creepy ish. 

4.  I knew I couldn't trust him or the NFL which is why I didn't watch the

show live cuz I ain't trying to break my flat screen TV.

5.  Taking Prince out of the equation - I didn't care for the performance.

The sound was lousy, not sure he was really singing live and it was

too choatic for me.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I thought it was awesome and the more I see clips of it the better I liked it.

I especially loved him going in the stands and doing the selfie with that kid. 

So many radio DJ's in my area and others I heard in the media were insistent Janet Jackson would make an appearance or some other big name star.  I never thought JJ would come out.

Loved the Prince tribute.

Respected Contributor

I loved it.  I'm a huge JT fan anyway.

I thought the Prince tribute was great.  The purple lights and the symbol were awesome.

It was so much better than other HT shows, IMO.  All I kept thinking was that kid is going to be so popular at school today.  LOL  Going into the stands was great!

Contributor

He’s so over rated.....

Honored Contributor

I disagree a little bit respectfully @Bird mama

I think to have the Superbowl in Minneapolis and not feel the loss of Prince's presence during what is supposed to be a "music spectacular" might be more uncommon than you think. 

I'll only speak for myself but it weighed on me that Prince couldn't be there to be a part of the biggest party in his hometown.  Minneapolis doesn't get a chance to shine much and he made sure his hometown always got its due. They were just returning the favor.

It honestly wouldn't have surpised me if the powers that be (city leaders) actually asked JT to do something to bring the hometown music element in for them during the show.  I doubt JT came up with it on his own. 

I've not known JT and Prince to be fans of one another and this weekend it has come out that there was probably a real lack of respect between the two. 

Again I'll only speak for myself but Prince was all about kindness and love towards one another and I think it was a class act to do a little something for him whether he would have approved of it or not.  It was an incredible gesture that was meant well.

And it turned out to be the highlight of the show completely overshadowing the actual performer who can take a lesson from this musical legend. If you put the work in and have the talent, you don't need to bring anyone else into your art, dead or alive. 

You should be able to command the attention all on your own which is my interpretation of what Prince was really trying to say about technology superceding the actual music.  It should never happen.  Music aka your talent should be forefront always.

Now had they done the hologram, I would completely agree with you and Prince.  That is "demonic" and unnatural and has no business being done by anyone with any real respect for music or an artist.  I refused to watch it when they did it with MJ and I personally would never watch anything that tries to literally resurrect a dead human being. 

Movie clips I can handle.  Recreating an actual human being a la the Star Trek holodeck doesn't work for me and never will.           

Honored Contributor

@Laura14  Nicely said.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I thought it was underwhelming, but then I'm not a big Timberlake fan. I think he's a multi talented guy, but I own none of his music. Not my cup of tea.  However, I have to give Pink kudos for stepping up to the mic, braving through national anthem, all the while having the flu. Even healthier ones have been challenged by the song. I certainly can't sing when I'm sick.

Regular Contributor

I thought it was the worse ever.  How could anyone sing along when you could not understand a word he was singing.  It was just a bunch of noise.

Also, the commercials are usually funny and memorable, even they were a big nothing burger.  Total waste of time.

Respected Contributor

I really liked it, but I like JT from way back. My daughter 25, has liked him since she was 6. It's awesome to watch him grow over the years.

I liked no politics, no nudity, no police bashing, and the tribute to Prince was nice.

Respected Contributor

What was that??? Awful, hideous, & a mess.