Honored Contributor

Re: What counts most when you are looking to rent

@sunshine45 wrote:

sooooooo i will add this since i guess i interpreted the thread in the wrong way.

i used to be an apartment complex manager a while ago.

it was for a company that had numerous apartment complexes in our county.

we always had prospective tenants fill out an application and that cost $25 (which included a credit check via a separate company.) results of that check along with previous rental history and satisfactory income were part the top three items that were examined.

you could usually fill out an application on monday and potentially be in an apartment by monday or tuesday if you were approved and needed one that quickly.

for those NOT approved we usually required a qualified co-signer (who also had to fill out an application AND sign the lease) OR a double security deposit in some cases.

@sunshine45  Just out of curiosity, how did you define satisfactory income?  I'm seeing where most places want 3X the rent which in my area is well over $30,000 which no entry level person is going to make.   

I am wondering if all the kids nowadays must have parent cosigners on everything.  It's a whole new world from when I grew up.  I don't see how you start out on your own anymore.      

Esteemed Contributor

When we rented for 6.5 months I don’t think the complex asked for anything. My parents put in their income and that was it. Never had to verify it. I don’t believe they even ran a credit check. They might of but they were never aware they did.

Respected Contributor

Before renting an apartment it is good to check the area at night. See what is going on in the neighborhood. How safe the exits are in the building, and how accessible the entry to the apartment is. The lighting around the entrance and in the hallway, the noise and the activity, et cetera.  Sometimes the area and the building can be different at night.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@LilacTree  Long answer to your question, lol:

I don't think it was a question. I'm kind of confused by this whole thread, to be honest.

Honored Contributor

Before we bought our current home 26 years ago, we rented the first 11 years of our marriage.  I never had to consider anything , back then it was really easy to rent without a lot of back ground checks.  And I was young and not concerned about much.... 

If I were to rent  today, my two main concerns would be who lives next door or in the complex.... ..what the crime is in the area.....  also, I would not want a lot of kids around me....do not like screaming kids.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

sooooooo i will add this since i guess i interpreted the thread in the wrong way.

i used to be an apartment complex manager a while ago.

it was for a company that had numerous apartment complexes in our county.

we always had prospective tenants fill out an application and that cost $25 (which included a credit check via a separate company.) results of that check along with previous rental history and satisfactory income were part the top three items that were examined.

you could usually fill out an application on monday and potentially be in an apartment by monday or tuesday if you were approved and needed one that quickly.

for those NOT approved we usually required a qualified co-signer (who also had to fill out an application AND sign the lease) OR a double security deposit in some cases.

@sunshine45  Just out of curiosity, how did you define satisfactory income?  I'm seeing where most places want 3X the rent which in my area is well over $30,000 which no entry level person is going to make.   

I am wondering if all the kids nowadays must have parent cosigners on everything.  It's a whole new world from when I grew up.  I don't see how you start out on your own anymore.      

@Laura14

generally, about 30% of your gross income can go towards rent. it can fluctuate a bit, but that is the rule usually. if, for example, you are making 3200 a month in income, then your rental expense should not be more than $960. we did also ask for 3 months of paystub.

of course, if you are not making enough then that is really what roommates are for. it would end up being cheaper if you have a friend who will live with you in a two bedroom apartment. the other option would be to rent a room with kitchen privileges in someones home.

when my daughter was in school and only had a part time job (work study program) we HAD to sign for her when she got an apartment with three other girls. she rented from a private owner.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 In the 80's, I was never asked for my income when I went to rent an apartment. Funny thing, I still have the paperwork from the rental of the townhouse I was in up to 3 years ago; nowhere on the contract did it ask for income either. Granted, we went through a Realtor but looking at the paperwork, we signed a rental contract, agreed to a credit check, paid first and last month rents plus a security deposit. I suppose if you can come up with all that, you have the money to rent. Oh, it did ask for occupation, prior address as well. 

Honored Contributor

I reread your question because I posted about renting itself.

Location is #1,

Can I afford the rent monthy on my salary

Can I afford other items, electric,gas, water, sewer every month

How much money will I have left over after every bill is paid.

Over the years dh and I have lived in some nice rental properties,.  Other places were real DUMPS. One I had to live in for 4 close to 5  years. I cried every night myself to sleep wondering how I would survive. Only reason was this was the only place we could afford on my husband salary (living in a super high rent state), jobs were scarce back then (this was 47 yrs ago).

Honored Contributor

Where I live they do base it on income and a certain percentage.  If you do not fall into that category, you are not eligible to rent from that apt. complex.  I'll never forget when I rented an apt. in a high rise.  You did not hear anything above you but the person on the side of my living room, i could hear their tv and any noise.  It was ridiculous and I lived there one year and moved.  How could the builder make above and below sound proof and not the sides?  Dumb.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I am glad for you that found a place that really meets your needs and most of your wants!

I rented a lot of apartments in my time.  Of course, price was the most important.  Next, was location.  Is it in a clean, safe area?  Will I feel comfortable and secure coming to this place every day and night? 

At the time I was renting, I was really healthy and did not have any worries about stairs, etc.  Actually, I liked being up on higher floors as I felt safer there.  And I got a lot of exercise going up and down!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin