Honored Contributor

Re: What Will Be the First Signs of Autumn?

Sorry, I just cannot go there right now...lol   I'll get back to you in a month when it's time to say goodbye to Summer.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

In New Mexico?

roasting chile

And the Balloon Fiesta...

ABQ Balloon Fiesta

OK!  Those chilies are a real treat for me.  I freeze a lot of them every year

Respected Contributor

First sign are the leaves starting to yellow. We sometimes don't get cool breeze until October in CT.  So 2 more months of summer heat and dreaded humidity.  Although the last few days were very nice!  🌞😎

Honored Contributor

A lot of kids in Oklahoma started school today--July 31!  Wow that seems early to me.

I just HATE HATE HATE to see summer go always and those dark long days come.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Burnsite wrote:

Hello, Sooner,  Florida doesn't have autumn in the SE section where I live. The fall months are the height of storm season, so watches and warnings are its main harbingers down here.  It's hunker-down time, as it is in other seasons in the midwest (Spring) and the north (Winter).

@Burnsite  Oh dear Burnsite!  I feel for 'ya!  In Oklahoma, May is go to ground time for the tornadoes, but where we live we didn't have to hit the cellar one time, which is VERY unusual (and wonderful) for folks in my area.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  I already covered the balloon fiesta, but you might be interested to know the chili harvest is early this year and has already started.   I'm one of the cowards who gets it "on the side".  Don't like a lot of heat. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner  I already covered the balloon fiesta, but you might be interested to know the chili harvest is early this year and has already started.   I'm one of the cowards who gets it "on the side".  Don't like a lot of heat. 

@Kachina624  OH BOY THANK YOU!!!!!  I am going to OKC Wednesday and Whole Foods sells them roasted and peeled in plastic boxes.  They may not be the cheapest, but dang one year I roasted about 15 pounds of them on the grill and in our kitchen and I decided money is no object for roasted fresh peppers!!!  LOL!!!!

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

Here in Texas it will be the cessation of the "heat index" and shutting off the A/C. October, maybe? The second half of September usually brings cooler nighttime temperatures and that heralds the approach...

@LonestarBabs  How well I remember.  That's why I'm here and not there. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I saw what announces autumn to me early yesterday morning.  My back yard "bird area" was filled with doens of red wing blackbirds.  Seems early to me for migration, but apparently they wanted to get a head start. This rarely happens here until September.

Image result for red winged blackbird flying

Image result for black bird with red wings

beautiful... and cute!

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  And some day I, too, will not be here! Looking forward to a return to the Midwest.