Honored Contributor

Re: What Names Were Considered?

I love this, @beach-mom ,  great idea!   I love your sweet name stories.

I considered names that tended to fall into one of four broad categories, looking back-- "literary",  Biblical, family or Welsh, weirdly (they all reflected my interests).  I liked:

Theo, Oliver, Gideon, Barnaby, Christian, Reuben, Henry, Samuel, Tarquin, Brooks, John, (or "John Wesley"--  that was big in my family), Hugh, Abel, Gareth or Geraint, Simon, Eben.

I seriously considered naming him Edward or Edmond, just to get the cute nickname, "Ned"!   But didn't.

Hubby didn't have any real preferences for names, and liked most of the ones I came up with.   If there were any that he hated, we automatically discarded them.

We ended up giving him a 3 syllable Biblical name as a first name, which I considered to be handsome and timeless, and which was also a family name.  He has three middle names-- a Welsh one which is also a family name, and then two other English family names.

It was really a fun process. 

Respected Contributor

Since I was little I always said if I had a daughter I would name her Christina.  Yeah, well husband ixnayed that one. Nicholas was also one of my frontrunners because it was my grandfather's name, but when the time came to use it, it was extremely popular so we didn't. 

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom 

My daughter was going to be named Amanda. I just loved that name. There was the cutest little girl on the soap opera Another World with that name. 
Oh well... I had a beautiful son. 

Second child was going to be named Amanda again ... 😂 if it were a girl. I was  also considering Erin. My husband said well then I want Seamus if it's a boy. I wasn't having that! 

So happens the nurse at the hospital was an Irish gal, and was trying to keep me calm and asked what are the names for the baby. I told her and as soon as my baby boy arrived she said  Welcome to the world Seamus!  

I nixed the Seamus and named him after my husband. I love his name. 

We always laugh at the Seamus story and my son said he would have loved that name! 😝 

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl I went to Catholic schools for 12 years and St. Patrick has always been a favorite.

I really wanted Bridget for a girl but got my DS instead! Good thing as no one and I mean NO ONE else liked that name! I also liked Felicia, think it's so pretty.

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for your stories everyone! I'm enjoying them so much! Please keep them coming!

@Oznell - I have to share this with you. One of my closest friends married an ordained minister. She wanted Mark; he wanted John. John Mark was born and has been called that ever since. No one shortens his name!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@KBEANS   Amanda is one of my top favorite names for girls.  And I also remember Amanda from Another World; I loved that show!

My best friends daughter is named Amanda and she is a few years older than my daughter so I didn't want to use the name but, 35 years later, it still remains a favorite.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I eliminated a lot of names I liked because I didn't like the diminutive.  I like Amanda but not Mandy. 

We name our sons family last names and daughters get them for their middle name. It's a tradition and helps protect against identity theft. People with common names have, on occasion, been mistaken for a wanted suspect and spent a night in jail before it could be sorted.

Esteemed Contributor

We have a long almost unpronounceable surname so we went with our first names when deciding what to name son or daughter. DH is Paul and I'm Pat so we decided instantly on Patrick Paul or Paula Patricia.  Our son, Patrick Paul is 33 and his older son is also Patrick Paul ( jr).  Everyone calls our son Patrick, never Pat.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@J Town Girl I went to Catholic schools for 12 years and St. Patrick has always been a favorite.

I really wanted Bridget for a girl but got my DS instead! Good thing as no one and I mean NO ONE else liked that name! I also liked Felicia, think it's so pretty.

I also went 8 years to a Catholic grade school and 4 years to a Catholic high school.  I hear many people complaining about Catholic schools but I feel that you get a very good education.  I never regretted my 12 years in parochial schools.  

Honored Contributor

My first husband and I made a list of boys and girls names and agreed to go with a name on both lists.

When our son was born, the only name on both lists was Brian. Therefore we named him Brian.