Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

The competition is tough, but I'll give the OP "The Most Disingenuous Post in Community Chat Award" this week.

I'll counter with "What Is a Search Engine?" 

@noodleann Why?  I'm not the OP but I too have wondered why the name "Karen"?  I've known a lot of women with that name and most are really nice...so I did look it up in search and still don't really undrstand it or the origins....why not Diane, Susan, Mary or Jane (all Boomer names like Karen)? 

There's a page on this in Wikipedia. There are stories about its origins all over the place. It's got ugly roots and it's an ugly meme and it's child's play to find all that out. I stand by my award.

Honored Contributor
@haddon9. Of course I realized it. I was agreeing with your comment and in the same post commenting generally that my previous post was undeserving of the ridicule [that another poster gave it].
Trusted Contributor

Re: What Is A Karen?

[ Edited ]

@haddon9   I'm sure it depends on where you look as I don't think it's a scientific study.  Wherever I've looked however Mary, Susan, and Deborah seem to outrank Karen.  But like I said it really seriously is unimportant to me who's right or wrong in their choice.  If everyone wants to put Karen at the top of the list that's just fine with me. Smiley Happy

What never ceases to amaze me about these boards as I'm learning is that no matter how benign the topic and no matter how benign the post there will ALWAYS be someone to challenge you.  rofl

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

I sincerely hope that those who are bent out of shape about " Karen", aren't the ones who always complain about folks who are easily offended.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I sincerely hope that those who are bent out of shape about " Karen", aren't the ones who always complain about folks who are easily offended.

Bingo, we have a winner!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

I found out about "Karens" from reading Reddit several months ago. Why that name was picked? I have no idea.

@JaneMarple   I posted about that somewhere here.

My understanding is that an ex-husband ranted about his ex-wife named Karen.  He has posted "Ef-U, Karen" about her not letting him see their kids.

Reddit took it down eventualy but the phrase stuck.

It took on a life of it's own.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

Well, I'm glad it's not my name. I think there is no one that wants their name bandee'd about used in any stupid negative vernacular.  

Honored Contributor

Pity the next poster who says she complained to management or corporate in a store or restaurant.  LOL

Karen GIFs | Tenor

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Another perfectly good name being turned into the object of criticism. It seems a "Karen" might be somewhat of a bully herself. I was going to guess it might be a cheapskate. We had a lady at work who always made a pan of eight-eight cent brownies for every event. Other people would bring hot dishes or delectable desserts to our work events and Karen brought those hard unfrosted brownies!

I identify with the brownies too.  Did nobody eat the brownies and she still kept bringing them?   for me frosting on brownies is too much.   I have to be honest even before all this happened I wasn't crazy about potlucks at work but I liked it if the company gave us a catered lunch

Respected Contributor

@Linmo 

I'll take it - I'm Karen (nicknamed Ko).

Karen and it's slang doesn't bother me ONE TEENY TINY LIL BIT - karenslang and the silliness behind it, is just that - silly and unimportant.

This particular middle aged white chick is made of much more than any slang thrown at me....it matters not.