Respected Contributor

What I learned about gifting here

I've been here over 25 years and have learned that expectations of gifting is more complicated than realized. Spending time and money on a gift could be a waste because it could be casually regifted. And I have received my own gift back.

gift cards are abhorred because it tells people where to shop or they are time consuming.  Cash is preferred.

I have come to the decision to not gift except for the red kettle. Makes it easier on everyone and the recipient need not fear getting something they don't want.

Honored Contributor

Re: What I learned about gifting here

@traveler    You have to do what you feel comfortable doing for the holidays.....DH and I gift only to his children/spouse and their children.  I gift a friend...it's pretty easy for us.  We put back money each week for a Christmas fund and never overspend.

Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

I've been here over 25 years and have learned that expectations of gifting is more complicated than realized. Spending time and money on a gift could be a waste because it could be casually regifted. And I have received my own gift back.

gift cards are abhorred because it tells people where to shop or they are time consuming.  Cash is preferred.

I have come to the decision to not gift except for the red kettle. Makes it easier on everyone and the recipient need not fear getting something they don't want.

@traveler. Interesting post. But I will say that as a gift recipient, I have never feared getting a gift I didn't want.  I have always been able to appreciate in some way a gift someone gives me. Are you sure it isn't the gift giver who fears? That is, fears giving something the recipient doesn't want?

Honored Contributor

I have not had your experience with the people I gift. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@traveler 

"Gift cards are abhorred.........they are time consuming"???????

The first part of the statement is clearly hyperbole and the second is ridiculous.

Please don't try to tell others what they prefer and why........you are entitled to your opinion, but take a moment to understand that others may feel differently.

Respected Contributor

I really enjoy buying loved ones something I think they will really enjoy.  If I am at a loss, an Amazon gift card or cash works.

My grandsons love heavy metal music.  I may be the oldest person who orders shirts from the Iron Maiden website lol!

Respected Contributor

To each their own.  I enjoy giving and appreciate what I receive. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've learned a lot from posters too after 15 yrs.

I read the "I just don't bother anymore" comments regarding holidays. There are people I've known for years and I used to send a gift and card with no response. I no longer send a thing. I sought nothing in return but they could have called or emailed to acknowledge.

I would always spend a minimum of $50.

I now donate to charity.

Esteemed Contributor

@Irish1210 wrote:

@traveler 

The first part of the statement is clearly hyperbole and the second is ridiculous.

Please don't try to tell others what they prefer and why........you are entitled to your opinion, but take a moment to understand that others may feel differently.

@Irish1210 

Look at the title of this post. She is saying that these are the things she has learned about gift giving "here" - from reading this forum.  She's not giving her own opinion. She's making an ironic statement about what some people have said about gift giving.  At least that was my take on it.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Irish1210 wrote:

@traveler 

@Irish1210 

Look at the title of this post. She is saying that these are the things she has learned about gift giving "here" - from reading this forum.  She's not giving her own opinion. She's making an ironic statement about what some people have said about gift giving.  At least that was my take on it.

@shoesnbags , that was my take on it, too.