Honored Contributor

Re: What Did Your Father Teach or Impart to You During Your Childhood?

On 9/3/2014 ~moxie~ said: My father was a brutal man who beat my brothers and me relentlessly. He left my sisters alone. What I learned from him is to not be the kind of parent he was. My mother tried to protect us but he would beat her so after awhile we kept quiet. When he put my two year old brother in the hospital she left him. My brother was recuperating from a bout of pneumonia and was cranky so he threw him against the wall and fractured his shoulder. a I shed no tears for him when he died.

Makes me cringe. Did he ever apologize or explain himself in his later years?

Super Contributor

On 9/3/2014 AuntG said:
On 9/3/2014 ~moxie~ said: My father was a brutal man who beat my brothers and me relentlessly. He left my sisters alone. What I learned from him is to not be the kind of parent he was. My mother tried to protect us but he would beat her so after awhile we kept quiet. When he put my two year old brother in the hospital she left him. My brother was recuperating from a bout of pneumonia and was cranky so he threw him against the wall and fractured his shoulder. a I shed no tears for him when he died.

Makes me cringe. Did he ever apologize or explain himself in his later years?

Oh no. He did did convert to religion and sent me religious tracts all the time. He called me once and I reminded him about what he did. He told me that was in the past and has changed. No apologies. Thankfully when we moved he no longer had my address or phone number.
Honored Contributor

My father was the best. He taught me many things. Some things I wish I paid more attention to. He's been gone five years and I miss his wisdom everyday. Whenever something goes wrong in the house, I wish I could pickup the phone and ask him what to do. He wasn't particularly handy, but would always have a remedy. He taught my sister and I how to be self reliant.
Super Contributor

Oh, Moxie. I am so so sorry you had to go through this. I wish you could have had a loving father like mine. I hope you have healed from your childhood.

Respected Contributor

My father taught me and my brothers how to love and spend time with your spouse and especially your children. We didn't have much money, he worked two jobs when my brothers and I were young but he always made time to have fun with us and he sincerely enjoyed it. I could not have asked for a better father. He was kind and soft spoken with a dry sense of humor which I have also. Parkinsons and Alzheimers took him much too early at 69. He worked so hard and never got to enjoy his retirement with my mother. He is missed dearly.

Super Contributor

On 8/30/2014 Townsend said:

I learned fear, distrust, that I was worth nothing and not capable of accomplishing anything worthwhile. He taught me racial slurs, prejudice, foul language, how to be invisible, and mostly hatred......of him! If I remained invisible, the belt didn't came out of the drawer. I cannot ever remember him hugging me, or telling me he loved me.

Oh, and he taught me what kind of man NOT to marry, and how not to raise children, so I suppose he was good for something.

When he died, I felt nothing at all.

Sounds just like mine, except when mine died, I felt such a huge sense of relief that he could never hurt anyone again.