Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- March 2015

I just finished this-

Phoebe Hall’s Manhattan life has suddenly begun to unravel. Right after her long-term boyfriend breaks off their relationship, she’s falsely accused of plagiarizing her latest bestselling celebrity biography. Looking for a quiet place to put her life back together, Phoebe jumps at the offer to teach in a sleepy Pennsylvania town at a small private college run by her former boarding school roommate and close friend, Glenda Johns.

But behind the campus’ quiet cafés and leafy maple trees lie evil happenings. The body of a female student washes up on the banks of a nearby river, and disturbing revelations begin to surface: accusations from coeds about abuses wrought by a secret society of girls on campus known as The Sixes.. To help Glenda, Phoebe embarks on a search for clues—a quest that soon raises painful memories of her own boarding school days years ago.

As the investigation heats up, Phoebe unexpectedly finds herself falling for the school’s handsome psychology professor, Duncan Shaw. But when nasty pranks turn into deadly threats, Phoebe realizes she’s in the middle of a real-life nightmare, not knowing whom she can trust and if she will even survive.

Plunging deeper into danger with every step, Phoebe knows she’s close to unmasking a killer. But with truth comes a terrifying revelation: your darkest secrets can still be uncovered . . . and starting over may be a crime punishable by death.

Honored Contributor

On 3/28/2015 Linders Back said:

finished the second Jason Brodie mystery by Kate Atkinson. Started slower than her other books but picked up speed at the end.

Started The Sea House by Elizabeth Gilbert. Started last night on a flight home and am almost 200 pages into it today. Very fast moving story perfect for curling up on the couch on a miserable winter day.

Modern day young couple buys an old house in the Outer Hebrides to convert it to a B&B, but what they find buried in the cellar leads to a 100 year old mystery involving Scottish lore of: Mermaids and Selkies (Seal people); a newly ordained Vicar/evolutionary scientist; an evil Laird and his beautiful daughter, and the feisty housemaid of the Vicar whose family was evicted from their ancestral home by the Laird. Back and forth story lines connect the dots.

Linders Back, I'm thanking you twice this morning. "The Sea House" looks great, I would have never heard of it and I will definitely read it. So thanks!

And I knew "The Casual Vacancy" was being made into a miniseries with JK having a hand in the production like with the HP books, but I didn't know it's done. So thanks for the heads-up!

Respected Contributor

Finished First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen. Fantastic book w/recurring characters from Garden Spells 10 years later when Sydney's daughter is 15.

Onto Barbara Taylor Bradford's Cavendon Hall.

Honored Contributor

I am reading this one now-

Cover of Kiss Me First

When Leila discovers the Web site Red Pill, she feels she has finally found people who understand her. A sheltered young woman raised by her mother, Leila has often struggled to connect with the girls at school; but on Red Pill, a chat forum for ethical debate, Leila comes into her own, impressing the Web site's founder, a brilliant and elusive man named Adrian. Leila is thrilled when Adrian asks to meet her, flattered when he invites her to be part of "Project Tess." Tess is a woman Leila might never have met in real life. She is beautiful, urbane, witty, and damaged. As they e-mail, chat, and Skype, Leila becomes enveloped in the world of Tess, learning every single thing she can about this other woman--because soon, Leila will have to become her. An ingeniously plotted novel of stolen identity, Kiss Me First is brilliantly frightening about the lies we tell--to ourselves, to others, for good, and for ill.

Valued Contributor

finished the second Jason Brodie mystery by Kate Atkinson. Started slower than her other books but picked up speed at the end.

Started The Sea House by Elizabeth Gilbert. Started last night on a flight home and am almost 200 pages into it today. Very fast moving story perfect for curling up on the couch on a miserable winter day.

Modern day young couple buys an old house in the Outer Hebrides to convert it to a B&B, but what they find buried in the cellar leads to a 100 year old mystery involving Scottish lore of: Mermaids and Selkies (Seal people); a newly ordained Vicar/evolutionary scientist; an evil Laird and his beautiful daughter, and the feisty housemaid of the Vicar whose family was evicted from their ancestral home by the Laird. Back and forth story lines connect the dots.

Just a quick note that the name of the author of "The Sea House" is Elisabeth Gifford, not Gilbert.

Super Contributor

On 3/30/2015 colinka said:

<em>Modern day young couple buys an old house in the Outer Hebrides to convert it to a B&B, but what they find buried in the cellar leads to a 100 year old mystery involving Scottish lore of: Mermaids and Selkies (Seal people); a newly ordained Vicar/evolutionary scientist; an evil Laird and his beautiful daughter, and the feisty housemaid of the Vicar whose family was evicted from their ancestral home by the Laird. Back and forth story lines connect the dots.</em>

Just a quick note that the name of the author of "The Sea House" is Elisabeth Gifford, not Gilbert.

Thank you, Colinka. I knew that didn't look right. Can I blame that on "Auto-correct" ? LOL Posting from my new phone has been an adventure.

And Lori, I'm really looking forward to "The Casual Vacancy" mini series, too. I really enjoyed the book. While it was a bit depressing, it was a fascinating character study. I tried to get my book club to read it as I thought we'd all recognize some of them from our own neighborhood and that would generate an interesting discussion. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Honored Contributor

Finished this morning The Boston Girl, Anita Diamant. Very good book.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Did I miss April Lainey? I'll take another look!