Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- January 2015

lori, didn't you say you liked Billie Letts? I'm reading her very first book, an award winner- Where the Heart Is. Reading a synopsis I would NEVER have picked it up, but I had read her other three books and absolutely loved them all, so I took this one knowing I would love it, and of course I do. Her characters are unbelievable, meaning, she is right on the money. It was a sad day when we lost this lady.

Respected Contributor

On 1/12/2015 Judaline said:

lori, didn't you say you liked Billie Letts? I'm reading her very first book, an award winner- Where the Heart Is. Reading a synopsis I would NEVER have picked it up, but I had read her other three books and absolutely loved them all, so I took this one knowing I would love it, and of course I do. Her characters are unbelievable, meaning, she is right on the money. It was a sad day when we lost this lady.

The movie is also wonderful. I've seen it many times.

Honored Contributor

THERE'S A MOVIE????? Thank you!

Respected Contributor

Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel. This book certainly deserves all the praise it has received.

Honored Contributor

Evie Wilson was the victim of the villain in DON'T TELL, an assault which resulted in paralysis on one side of her face. After her injury, Evie retreated into the virtual realm, seeking refuge from the public eye by interacting with online friends. Now, with the help of a surgeon, Evie's face is restored and she is ready to return to the real world. However, she remains connected to the Internet for her graduate thesis on using the virtual world as therapy to improve self-esteem. She has become an online shopkeeper who sells faces and bodies to users interested in building a new avatar on a website called "Shadowland." In her new role, Evie maintains "surveillance" over her test subjects to ensure they don't become too caught up in the intoxicating virtual realm.

Meanwhile, homicide detective Noah Webster has been investigating a string of suspicious suicides that he believes are connected murders. Noah's investigation leads him to Evie when one of her online test subjects is found dead of apparent suicide, but Evie believes otherwise.

Evie is shocked to find herself drawn to someone for the first time in many years and she's reluctant to trust Noah. However, he's the only one who believes her story about the suspicious death of her test subject, and he soon discovers that many of the apparent suicides in his case had avatars in "Shadowland."

As murder victims connected to the website begin to appear more frequently, Noah asks Evie to be his virtual guide in the investigation. However, they don't realize that the killer is closer than they think--and that he holds a special grudge against Evie.

Frequent Contributor

Holy smokes! Just finished "Trust Your Eyes" by Linwood Barclay, and could not put it down! I believe this is the best from him I have read...deals with a schizophrenic man who lives with his brother after the recent death of his father. Thomas spends all of his time on a "google earth"type website and believes he has witnessed a murder. Loved it! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

On 1/12/2015 lovescats said:

Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel. This book certainly deserves all the praise it has received.

Thank you for the recommendation. I read the synopsis and put it on waitlist at the library. It sounds intriguing.

Honored Contributor

I just finished Bittersweet by Colleen McCullough. I had read several uncomplimentary things about the book but my turn came up at the library so I decided to give it a try. I actually enjoyed the book even though I have to admit it was a slow read.

Esteemed Contributor

I just got 11/22/63 by Stephen King but haven't started it yet. It has some pretty good reviews. I'm excited to read it. Becki

Respected Contributor

On 1/13/2015 DiAnne said:

I just finished Bittersweet by Colleen McCullough. I had read several uncomplimentary things about the book but my turn came up at the library so I decided to give it a try. I actually enjoyed the book even though I have to admit it was a slow read.

Glad you enjoyed it. I was one of them that didn't like it and posted it on here.