Respected Contributor

Re: What Are The Odds of having problems with two new purchases?

[ Edited ]

I purchased a new refrigerator in the house I lived  in before.

I was happy with it, but found that it did not keep a cold enough temperature.  I actually went out and bought refrigerator thermometers.  By the way, I still use them to this day.  The temp of that refrigerator never got below 50 degrees.  I believe normal refrigerator temp is 34-40 or 42 degrees.

So, they picked it up and brought me a new refrigerator as a replacement.  Lo and behold, the second one did the same thing.  I was thinking maybe I was crazy.  But, sure enough, even a SECOND thermometer says the same thing.  This time, they send a repair man to look into it.  No way was that refrigerator getting cold enough either.

He half takes it apart and discovers that the thermostat is defective.  He said it would NEVER have gotten cold enough.  He replaced the thermostat and it ran perfectly.  He made a special report to the manufacturer.  Turns out, the serial numbers of both refrigerators were only one number apart - hence the same manufacturing date and both got a defective thermostat. 

Other than the service man, neither company treated me very nicely.  Not the manufacturer or the store I bought it from.

So, pretty high odds I think!

Hyacinth