Respected Contributor

Re: What Are Our Children Learning - And I don't mean Scholastically.

I agree with this.

I have been working with middle and high school students as a counselor/academic advisor since the late 1990s.

Right now I am a part time tutor in a high school.

In the last 20 years, there have definitely been changes in kids' demeanor.  In my experience, generally speaking, kids are less respectful of others now than they were when I first started. 

Of course, there are always exceptions.  I'm just speaking in a general nature.

In my view, technology and social media have a big part to play in this.  Back in 1998, virtually none of my students had cell phones, or even computers at home.

Social media was non existent.

With the arrival of Facebook in 2005, and after that Twitter and everything else, 

I think the way we interact with each other, both kids and adults, changed.

This discourse became callous.  

Kids say some things to me and have an attitude that I never experienced even ten years ago. I made a comment to a friend about this, and she said, well, they probably talk to their parents that way...and their parents probably talk to them that way.

It's sad actually.  I don't see it changing.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Your grandchildren are lucky little ones to have you in their lives.  I fear for the kids who are given an iPad, phone and ccomputer instead of a lot of human interaction. 

I saw a show on PBS where parents sent their internet-addicted teens to internet bootcamp.   It was frightening.

OMG @Elri   AMEN!! 

I went to dinner with my 12 year old niece and 13 year old nephew recently.  I didn't get a hello, nor one word of conversation.  Their heads were either on the tablets they have at the restaurants now or in their phones.  I don't have kids but I'd like to think their phones would be in my purse when we went out to dinner with family so they could interact with the people they love with good old fashioned speaking and listening.  It's just common courtesy.  

Common courtesy, what is that?  I rarely see it anymore, did parents stop teaching it to their children ?  Actually, some adults lack it as well.  When in public, being a restaurant, store, anywhere, people are talking on their phones.  I almost believe that if the phones are taken away people would go into withdrawal.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Your grandchildren are lucky little ones to have you in their lives.  I fear for the kids who are given an iPad, phone and ccomputer instead of a lot of human interaction. 

I saw a show on PBS where parents sent their internet-addicted teens to internet bootcamp.   It was frightening.

OMG @Elri   AMEN!! 

I went to dinner with my 12 year old niece and 13 year old nephew recently.  I didn't get a hello, nor one word of conversation.  Their heads were either on the tablets they have at the restaurants now or in their phones.  I don't have kids but I'd like to think their phones would be in my purse when we went out to dinner with family so they could interact with the people they love with good old fashioned speaking and listening.  It's just common courtesy.  

Common courtesy, what is that?  I rarely see it anymore, did parents stop teaching it to their children ?  Actually, some adults lack it as well.  When in public, being a restaurant, store, anywhere, people are talking on their phones.  I almost believe that if the phones are taken away people would go into withdrawal.

My doctor refers to cellphones as "adult pacifiers".

Honored Contributor

The problem today is some parents don't have any time for the children which is really sad.  You bring them into the world and then expect them to fend for themselves.  Children need to learn the difference between right and wrong, respect, not to bully other kids and call them names.  Some of these youngsters today and even the ones 18 thru early 20's are so disrespectful and could care less about anything.  None of them know how to count change back in the retail store.  It's good to use your mind before you end up losing it later in life.  HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

@Marienkaefer2

Thanks for telling your educated and personal experience.

How about this?   Controlling WIFI in schools.  I, of course, have no idea how to accomplish this. 

Ideas?  Elon, can you hear me?  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

The problem today is some parents don't have any time for the children which is really sad.  You bring them into the world and then expect them to fend for themselves.  Children need to learn the difference between right and wrong, respect, not to bully other kids and call them names.  Some of these youngsters today and even the ones 18 thru early 20's are so disrespectful and could care less about anything.  None of them know how to count change back in the retail store.  It's good to use your mind before you end up losing it later in life.  HeartCat Happy

@Katcat1

Do you actually believe no one 18 through 20 knows how to count change?  Or count change in a retail store?

Honored Contributor

If our children are not learning, manners or whatever, it's the fault of their parents and grandparents.

My daughter has always been praised for her manners, and she is incredibly learned.  I always assumed it was my duty to be her best teacher, and it was DH who stayed up with her at nights handling the math questions.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66

All we have to do is look at the news to find the genesis of the rudeness of today, bullying and bigotry.

It's a sad day when those usually considered to be role models for good are role models for the unacceptable.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7  I did say some, if not I am corrected.  I experienced it quite a few times first hand.  When the cashier punched in the amount and I handed that person pennies and they were all confused.  Like I said, more than once this happened.  Kids grow up using a computer and calculator today.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Noel7  I did say some, if not I am corrected.  I experienced it quite a few times first hand.  When the cashier punched in the amount and I handed that person pennies and they were all confused.  Like I said, more than once this happened.  Kids grow up using a computer and calculator today.

@Katcat1

You did say NONE of them could do the math.  I know we tend to base things on our experience but I think most young people can do basic math.  I sure hope so.   How would their parents not have noticed?