Honored Contributor

Re: What Are Our Children Learning - And I don't mean Scholastically.

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

THIS is a form of talking.  Don't others see that?  We have real conversations, come across real people we love to converse with.

If you don't think that's possible, go look at the almost 10 page conversation on Cheddar Man.  It's polite, serious, funny, informative and so interesting because so many people shared in conversing.

@Noel7

But Blogs are considered old fashioned,(and something the Smiley Surprisedld folks" use. You are limited on Twitter to a very limited number of characters not much of a chance to converse there, and it seems on Facebook there is little conversation, mostly photos and people bragging what they did, are doing, or going to do....Instagram is about sharing photos/videos so thats a one sided "conversation"...............

@Spurt

I don't care what other people consider blogs, most of us enjoy it here.  I am on Twitter and they recently increased the space allowed to say what you want.  Several of my daughter's friends follow me so I get in on their conversations sometimes.  I'm not on Facebook but I am on Instagram and you CAN talk to each other there.  Some people have really long comments, others are shorter.  DH's family talks to me often by way of Instagram.

If you want to see LONG comments and many on Instagram, check Humans Of New York on Instagram.  It nice to follow HofNY, really interesting people and their stories.

@Noel7

I dabble in all of them a bit, but Blogs/Forums/NewsGroups/Bulletin Boards....whatever they call them-- are my favorite because its a place to have regular conversations .... and sometimes make friends with regular contributors........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

The problem today is some parents don't have any time for the children which is really sad.  You bring them into the world and then expect them to fend for themselves.  Children need to learn the difference between right and wrong, respect, not to bully other kids and call them names.  Some of these youngsters today and even the ones 18 thru early 20's are so disrespectful and could care less about anything.  None of them know how to count change back in the retail store.  It's good to use your mind before you end up losing it later in life.  HeartCat Happy

@Katcat1

I think its a more of they don't TAKE THE TIME for their children,  in the past parents would sacrifice and put their children first....now it seems that parents think about themselves and have an "all about ME" attitude.....They leave the parenting up to the schools, youth leagues/clubs, or churches etc.........

One of the guys on ESPN was telling how kids dont know math....he went to a fast food place and gave the kid a $10 bill....the computers were down and the kid didnt know how ot make change....so the sports guy had to walk the kid through it.............SAD!

And since technology does their thinking for them....no need to look anything up....Alexa is there to help! .....So there is little  imagination and creativity....you can tell it by commercials, movies, TV shows etc...it seems to be all the same plots or something "borrowed" from something done long ago....

I never saw a lot of sacrificing back in the 50's. Alcoholism, child abuse, all swept under the rug. At least today, kids know there is help out there. Sure, there were interested parents but there were plenty of all about me parents then too. 

My kids and friends knew math. In my grandson's pre-school he is taught math. He understands at 5 how to make change. There is no one size fits all regarding kids back in the day nor kids today....

@Trinity11

So many people have such a negative take on children and the younger generation.  It's sure not my experience.  I'm with you on the 50s, it wasn't much different than now.  There was a LOT of talk then about "Juvenile Delinquents" and how machines were taking over the country, scandals about babies "out of wedlock".  And there were A LOT of high school drop outs.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for post #37 @Spurt. I agree that children live what they learn --with just a few exceptions.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

The problem today is some parents don't have any time for the children which is really sad.  You bring them into the world and then expect them to fend for themselves.  Children need to learn the difference between right and wrong, respect, not to bully other kids and call them names.  Some of these youngsters today and even the ones 18 thru early 20's are so disrespectful and could care less about anything.  None of them know how to count change back in the retail store.  It's good to use your mind before you end up losing it later in life.  HeartCat Happy

@Katcat1

I think its a more of they don't TAKE THE TIME for their children,  in the past parents would sacrifice and put their children first....now it seems that parents think about themselves and have an "all about ME" attitude.....They leave the parenting up to the schools, youth leagues/clubs, or churches etc.........

One of the guys on ESPN was telling how kids dont know math....he went to a fast food place and gave the kid a $10 bill....the computers were down and the kid didnt know how ot make change....so the sports guy had to walk the kid through it.............SAD!

And since technology does their thinking for them....no need to look anything up....Alexa is there to help! .....So there is little  imagination and creativity....you can tell it by commercials, movies, TV shows etc...it seems to be all the same plots or something "borrowed" from something done long ago....

I never saw a lot of sacrificing back in the 50's. Alcoholism, child abuse, all swept under the rug. At least today, kids know there is help out there. Sure, there were interested parents but there were plenty of all about me parents then too. 

My kids and friends knew math. In my grandson's pre-school he is taught math. He understands at 5 how to make change. There is no one size fits all regarding kids back in the day nor kids today....

@Trinity11

Sorry where I grew up there were solid families which created a stable environment..My parents gave up a lot so we could have.....  I dont see that now a days....I see kids with unstable homes, and lots of single parents with a different SO every few months or a couple years.  There might have been serious issues that were ignored but those problems seem far more prevelant now and not just because its talked about more....just watch the news and listen to background stories....Go talk to someone that works in Child Protective Services for a real eye opener, compare it to the past ...You see what people that are teachers here have to say............

Schools dont teach cursive and the U.S. is now ranked very low regarding education in math and science compared to the other countries.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

THIS is a form of talking.  Don't others see that?  We have real conversations, come across real people we love to converse with.

If you don't think that's possible, go look at the almost 10 page conversation on Cheddar Man.  It's polite, serious, funny, informative and so interesting because so many people shared in conversing.

@Noel7

But Blogs are considered old fashioned,(and something the Smiley Surprisedld folks" use. You are limited on Twitter to a very limited number of characters not much of a chance to converse there, and it seems on Facebook there is little conversation, mostly photos and people bragging what they did, are doing, or going to do....Instagram is about sharing photos/videos so thats a one sided "conversation"...............

@Spurt

I don't care what other people consider blogs, most of us enjoy it here.  I am on Twitter and they recently increased the space allowed to say what you want.  Several of my daughter's friends follow me so I get in on their conversations sometimes.  I'm not on Facebook but I am on Instagram and you CAN talk to each other there.  Some people have really long comments, others are shorter.  DH's family talks to me often by way of Instagram.

If you want to see LONG comments and many on Instagram, check Humans Of New York on Instagram.  It nice to follow HofNY, really interesting people and their stories.

@Noel7

I dabble in all of them a bit, but Blogs/Forums/NewsGroups/Bulletin Boards....whatever they call them-- are my favorite because its a place to have regular conversations .... and sometimes make friends with regular contributors........

@Spurt

Me, too Smiley Happy  I like it here, there are people I genuinely care about, and a lot of people to learn from.

I tell DH that if I have a question, I know there will be someone here with the answer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@Noel7

@Spurt

@Noel7

@Spurt

Me, too Smiley Happy  I like it here, there are people I genuinely care about, and a lot of people to learn from.

I tell DH that if I have a question, I know there will be someone here with the answer.

@Noel7

Oh yes! I agree you learn so much here....whether its a question on electronics,  medical insurance, nutrition or getting pros/cons of a particular product/brand, best deals in shopping, cooking recipes and kitchen items....GREAT STUFF!!!...........

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree,There is no reason for you to be sorry for your post.Smiley Happy 

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

As a grandmother myself, what troubles me  also is the bullying behavior and adjectives attached to people's names coming from the top.

That reminds me of the worst school-yard bullying.

@Susan in California

I get on Twitter every morning & wonder who will be picked on

today...and what was said. It’s just gives validation for the Public

to verbalize something when someone else does it...

and possibly take it a step further. 

@sidsmom

What I use Twitter for is to follow a few columnist on topics im interested in, mostly my favorite sports teams....I have them categorized on a list and it makes it easy to find the info

But occasionally Ill scan whats trending and read something that's totally inaccurate and see everyone jump on the bandwagon and defend it just because "well its on Twitter" and its not even true.....  I even had to correct my sister on one topic explained to her that was old news that had been retracked and gave her current well documented articles by experts refuting the old theory..........

Honored Contributor

I am sure your daughter is blessed with good friends and for her the way she communicates and interacts works for her.  

I just came home from having lunch with four close long term friends.  We try to meet monthly and we always have a great time.  During lunch one of my girlfriends said she loves spending time with us because it is so uplifting and makes her feel good.  I could tell by her expression her sincerity came from her heart.  Body language and hearing laughter, exchanging stories does make for a great time.  For us meeting monthly or more is a very important part of our friendship.  

I am not saying you can't have the type of friendships as your daughter.  We all have phones and computers and also keep in touch through them.  But we do

look forward to being together and taken to that level of friendship we have shared for a very long time.  One friend, sadly, has alzheimer's but we always include her.  She may not interact with us as she did but she sits and smiles and listens.  She can't use a phone or computer but she can be part of us when are together.

I am happy for your daughter and may she always find happiness and comfort in her friendships!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

As a grandmother myself, what troubles me  also is the bullying behavior and adjectives attached to people's names coming from the top.

That reminds me of the worst school-yard bullying.

@Susan in California

I get on Twitter every morning & wonder who will be picked on

today...and what was said. It’s just gives validation for the Public

to verbalize something when someone else does it...

and possibly take it a step further. 

@sidsmom

What I use Twitter for is to follow a few columnist on topics im interested in, mostly my favorite sports teams....I have them categorized on a list and it makes it easy to find the info

But occasionally Ill scan whats trending and read something that's totally inaccurate and see everyone jump on the bandwagon and defend it just because "well its on Twitter" and its not even true.....  I even had to correct my sister on one topic explained to her that was old news that had been retracked and gave her current well documented articles by experts refuting the old theory..........

@Spurt

I feel special you specifically tagged me but...this response doesn’t have anything to do with my post, but you are entitled to your opinion & comments.