Regular Contributor

I went to DMV on Wednesday to apply for a California Real ID driver's license. (My Illinois driver's license expires next month.)

I first went on the website and looked at the checklist for obtaining a California Real ID and started the application. (You do not have to start the application online.)

I must've picked the perfect day/time (Wednesday 11:30 am) because there was only one person ahead of me.  

Once I was called to a window, I handed my passport and Illinois driver's license, mortgage statement and insurance statement for proof of residency. (I did not need my social security card.) They asked me if I ever had a California driver's license; I told them in the '90's which they located in their system. They took my thumb print electronically. Paid 39.00, took an eye exam. Sent me to another window for my photo, took photo. Told me to go to any computer to take my written test.

Well, I haven't taken a written test since my first driver's and I didn't realize I had to take one. I asked how many times I can take the written test; they said 3 times and then you have to pay again. I decided to take the test. I had to submit a thumb print and took the test. I passed! Got 2 wrong. You're able to skip 3 questions. Gave me a temporary license and my Real ID will be in mail 1-3 weeks!

Of course, because I'm such a child I treated myself to a new Skechers shoes and a cheeseburger at In-and-Out!

Yay for me!

Respected Contributor

@Runner26 Always feels great to get these unpleasant tasks completed. Love your style in rewarding yourself with a burger and sneaks. You deserved it. 

Regular Contributor

Congratulations on passing that test!  I doubt I'd be able to do that after nearly 50 years of driving.  You deserved that special treat!  Drive safely.

Honored Contributor

I am impressed on SO MANY levels.

First, how in the world can there only be one person ahead of you when you entered. In the past 20 years there have been no less that 25 people ahead of me in line. And in the past few years the line is out the door and down the building. Sometimes I try 4-5 times to find the best time/day and just give up and stand in line for over an hour because I had to get the Real ID.

And congratulations on passing the written test. When I was getting my licence. I carried the book with me and studied and studied. Haven't touched it since. Good for you! I am impressed.

What better way to reward yourself. Making your tummy and feet happy. Good for you!

Honored Contributor

DH got his real ID drivers's license here in Chicago.  There is a separate line for "seniors."  He was in and out very quickly.  The times we've gone to the DMV here we've been very impressed and happy with the service.

Respected Contributor

I got my Pennsylvania Real ID driver's license last month and was impressed by PA's service.

Honored Contributor

I don't know....but it IS POSSIBLE.  This past Wednesday, I walked straight up to the window at the Scottsdale, AZ MVD.   Took about 10 minutes to renew my driver license.   

In the past, the place was always packed and you could wait hours for your number to be called.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Frequent Contributor

Isn't is great when things work out better than expected.  I got mine a few months ago and was amazed at how easy it was. 

I've lived here for 32 years and still had to prove my residency.  I didn't expect it to be so easy.  Here we still have the option of getting a "regular" licence.  Which does not make sense but sensible people don't make the laws.

I brought all the stuff that they required but did not expect it was enough but would have been happy to get the regular one.  To my surprise I was in and out in 20 minutes with a "real ID". 

Actually my biggest fear was not being able to pass the eye test.  But I passed with flying colors. 

Super Contributor

@Runner26 

I'm glad you posted this, I have to do this soon. You've put me at ease. I'm not looking forward to the written test. Did you have to get a new picture? Not looking forward to that either.

Honored Contributor

I renewed my license in a kiosk in my nearest Publix. I had done the Real ID years ago.  Walked away with what is perhaps my last-ever license.  Unless I cause an accident, I am good for another 7 years.  So glad I could renew last year because this year I think my age would have made me ineligible to renew without testing.

Probably because my laptop is frequently unco-operative, I couldn't renew online from home, I was happy to pay a few extra dollars to avoid the lines.  Even with an appointment, some neighbors encountered long waits.

Real ID years ago