Honored Contributor

Sea turtles crawl to new nesting record on Georgia coast

Associated Press
Associated Press

Sea turtles crawl to new nesting record on Georgia coast

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — Rare sea turtles that spend summers laying eggs on Southern beaches have crawled to a new state record in Georgia.

FILE - In this June 30, 2019, photo provided by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, a loggerhead sea turtle returns to the ocean after nesting on Ossabaw Island, Ga. Rare sea turtles that spend summers laying eggs on Southern beaches have crawled to a new state record in Georgia. The Georgia Department of Natural Resources said Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2022, that more than 3,960 loggerhead sea turtle nests have been counted this year along the Georgia coast. (Georgia Department of Natural Resources via AP, File)
© Provided by Associated PressFILE - In this June 30, 2019, photo provided by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, a loggerhead sea turtle returns to the ocean after nesting on Ossabaw Island, Ga. Rare sea turtles that spend summers laying eggs on Southern beaches have crawled to a new state record in Georgia. The Georgia Department of Natural Resources said Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2022, that more than 3,960 loggerhead sea turtle nests have been counted this year along the Georgia coast. (Georgia Department of Natural Resources via AP, File)

The Georgia Department of Natural Resources said Wednesday that more than 3,960 loggerhead sea turtle nests have been counted since May along the Georgia coast.

That’s 10 more nests than the previous state record set in 2019, and the number will likely grow. The nesting season typically continues through August.

Giant loggerhead sea turtles are protected as a threatened species under the federal Endangered Species Act. Every summer they crawl onto beaches from Florida to the Carolinas to lay their eggs. An army of volunteers in each state works to record each nest and protect it from predators.

Sea turtles crawl to new nesting record on Georgia coast (msn.com)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Sea turtles crawl to new nesting record on Georgia coast

I often think how wonderful it is that they are so protected and watched over. Wouldn't it be great if more of our wildlife was protected in that way, and not just when they became endangered.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

This is good news!  I am happy these turtles are thriving and growing in numbers.  We should be protecting all wildlife and sea life  I always say those who are out there putting time, effort and love into protecting wildlife, those who rescue animals from harm are my heroes.  Thanks for this uplifting post, there is a lot of positive work being done for animals and sea life and it should be in the news .

Honored Contributor

That Logerhead is immense!  

Yes, @on the bay all sentient beings deserve respect.  We are moving in the direction of protection against horrific testing on animals, but much work remains.  There is now a consideration to rollback the ban on cosmetic animal testing.  I know that if people were aware of the suffering, there would be so much more support.

Esteemed Contributor

Great news!  I follow the sea turtle group at Panama City Beach.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I wonder if this has anything to do with global warming and warmer oceans?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It's so cool, when the protectors of the nests determine that the babies are about to hatch, they announce it and set up a viewing site on the beach, of course no lights of any kind (including cell phones!) are allowed.

They depend on the light of the moon to lead them to the ocean after they hatch, so sweet!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Huge leatherback sea turtle.  I had no idea they get so big.

Screenshot_20220804-105416_kindlephoto-230815055.png

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  It was released today in our local Florida paper that researchers are discovering that the majority of turtles hatching are females and yes, it is due to the warmer temps. How this will play out regarding reproduction/breeding issues in the future is what they're starting to look at here.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee    An increase in the number of females will undoubtedly result in an increase in the total turtle population.  Maybe they'll soon not be endangered.