Respected Contributor

We decided to go out for an hour or so and walk in the mall.  It wasn't crowded.  Most people wearing masks.  Those who were not were young, 20 something.  Many stores were still closed.  And many still had their Easter signs up in their windows.  Some businesses look like they just shut down and won't be back.  In the few stores we went into, not a lot in stock.  On the outside of the mall is a Pier One store.  They looked packed.  Not a parking spot to be found and people lined up at the door.  That store is closing, going out of business.

Trusted Contributor

Here in Western NY the malls themselves are not open yet but any store that has an entrance from the parking lot can be open. I went to Lord & Taylor yesterday to buy my son a birthday present. There weren't very many people in the store, but I went right at the time they opened (12 noon). Their store was fully stocked like the day it shut down and it felt like it had just woken up from suspended animation. It felt so good to be in a real store again! 

Trusted Contributor

@ScrapHappy  ..... Pier One filed bankruptcy and announced they would be closing all their stores. They may be having some good sales thus the reason for the crowd.

Honored Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@ScrapHappy  ..... Pier One filed bankruptcy and announced they would be closing all their stores. They may be having some good sales thus the reason for the crowd.

Yes, the OP mentioned that. Personally, I don't think any deal, especially given the nonessential aspect of this business, is good enough to risk being enclosed in what the OP said was a packed store. I'd look online maybe, but that's it.

@Sheila P-Burg 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

There's little need for me to go out. Went to a church service last week, but our numbers are 5% positive so here's what I told DH I'm willing to do in July.I

1. Outside pick-up at library.

2. Drive thru restaurants.

3. Grocery store at 7am for senior hours. Only 15 minutes inside.

I have a doctor's appointment in late August and I truly have a hard time wearing masks, so we'll see what happens.

Respected Contributor

diRe: Went To The Mall Today

@ScrapHappy also went to the mall today...i almost never go to the big mall but had to to return on-line purchase.  It was getting close to cutoff date for refrunds and I do not trust mail.  Mall was not too busy...mostly as you say young people...most wearig masks. I I could get in and out quickly but there was only one opening to get in which was far away and below the store I was looking for.  I walked almost the length of the mall.  good workout but I was anxious about being there too long.  The store had only one customer in there besides me.  MIssion accomplshed.  

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

There's little need for me to go out. Went to a church service last week, but our numbers are 5% positive so here's what I told DH I'm willing to do in July.I

1. Outside pick-up at library.

2. Drive thru restaurants.

3. Grocery store at 7am for senior hours. Only 15 minutes inside.

I have a doctor's appointment in late August and I truly have a hard time wearing masks, so we'll see what happens.

A church service?   I hope everyone was wearing a mask and they had seating spread out inside.