Honored Contributor

Re: Well, Our County Has It's First Case of CV

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

We have 4,657 cases, 27 dead as of this morning in our county.

@Trinity11 

Is that 4,657 in your county?  Or in your state?

@shoesnbags , that is for my county. I am in Long Island in Nassau County.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11 

@Trinity11 

Ah, yes.  Looks like we are in the same boat.  (And it appears to be sinking.)

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@SuhseK  My county is 823 sq. miles and about 43,000 people. There is a lot open space between the larger towns and say a small village where I live.  If you drive the main road through my little burg there are 8 houses on one side and 6 on the other.  Not many more on 4 side streets.

There is 1 blinker traffic light in town and that's only 6 years old. It was put in when the gas boom started and truck traffic was terrible.

Honored Contributor

It was a "bound to happen" situation.  Stay save.  You can always "play" with us.  We're "stuck" as well!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11 

What a horrific situation, @Trinity11.

Here in Calfornia, we have not been able to test as many as has New York, which maybe accounts for our lesser numbers, but that will change. And that also is likely the reason that our mortality rate here is higher than New York and the country overall.

I hope that you and family are taking every precaution to stay healthy.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11 

What a horrific situation, @Trinity11.

Here in Calfornia, we have not been able to test as many as has New York, which maybe accounts for our lesser numbers, but that will change. And that also is likely the reason that our mortality rate here is higher than New York and the country overall.

I hope that you and family are taking every precaution to stay healthy.

Thanks, @suzyQ3 . My children are lucky to be able to work from home. Both were sick but didn't get tested. My son had contact with the lawyer downtown, who was the first diagnosed case. He called me in Feb. telling me he was very sick and worried he would give it to me so we didn't get to celebrate his birthday. Whether he had this virus, he still does not know.

I have been ordering our food from Amazon Whole Foods. My husband gets my prescriptions, truth be told I kind of fear going to the store...

I hope you are OK. I am sure you are worried but it was good reading that your family was still at home, doing better and thankfully not hospitalized..

Honored Contributor

My county is at 174 -  so "they" say.  Means less than nothing.  I live in a county of 1.5 million people with about 375,000 seniors  65+.

So far, about 1000 tests have been completed -  taken and analyzed that is.  What would the number be if 5000 had been tested?  or 10,000?

I don't really know what the optimum number is, but  no, there's no way that 174 is accurate, no way it makes me feel safe. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

I doubt there are really any counties that don't have any cases.  I feel there are just many people walking around not even knowing they have it.  Here in my county, we don't have many confirmed cases, but there are most likely more   I wish borders could be closed, also.  I think it's illegal to do so.

@Tessa Mendoza,  not illegal in NC.

Cities and counties in North Carolina are authorized to adopt ordinances imposing restrictions and prohibitions when they declare a local state of emergency. (G.S. 166A-19.31) These restrictions and prohibitions may be on:

The movements of people in public places, including directing and compelling the evacuation of all or part of the population from any stricken or threatened area within the governing body’s jurisdiction, to prescribe routes, modes of transportation, and destinations in connection with evacuation; and to control ingress and egress of a disaster area, and the movement of persons within the area; this authority also includes closing roads and other transportation routes.

Among the restrictions and prohibitions that may be included in a local emergency ordinance, and which may be triggered under a local state of emergency declaration, is placing limitations on “the movement of people in public places,” which includes imposing curfews, ordering evacuations, prescribing evacuation routes, and controlling ingress, egress, and movement within an emergency area (GS 166A-19.31(b)(1)). Does this authority extend to closing roads? Recent legislation enacted by the North Carolina General Assembly clarifies that the answer to this question is yes.

The authority of counties and cities to restrict the movement of people in public places under a local state of emergency declaration (assuming this authority is included in the unit’s local emergency ordinance) has long been interpreted to include closing roads because the scope of the authority specifically includes limiting ingress and egress in an “emergency area,” meaning the geographic area covered under a local state of emergency declaration. GS 166A-19.3(7). In addition, GS 166A-19.31(b)(5) authorizes counties and cities to include in their local emergency ordinances the ability to place restrictions on “other activities or conditions the control of which may be reasonably necessary to maintain order and protect lives or property during the state of emergency.” The specific authority to limit ingress and egress in an emergency area, coupled with the board authority to place restrictions on other activities reasonably necessary to maintain order and protect lives or property, can be – and indeed, has been – interpreted to include the authority to close roads, even those roads not owned by the local government.

Emergency Road Closure Authority Specifically Authorized

Despite the broad authority described above, the lack of specific authorization to close roads has at times created confusion when a county or city closes a transportation route not owned by that unit, such as state roads and highways. To make clear that counties and cities have the authority to close roads during a locally declared state of emergency, the General Assembly enacted HB917 (S.L. 2019-89) during the 2019 legislative session. HB917 amends GS 166A-19.31(b)(1) to specifically authorize counties and cities to include in their local emergency ordinances the authority to close roads during a locally declared state of emergency. Under the new statutory provision (GS 166A-19.31(b)(1)(e)), county and city local emergency ordinances may specifically authorize the “closure, within the emergency area, of streets, roads, highways, bridges, public vehicular areas, or other areas ordinarily used for vehicular travel . . .” While the road closure authority, if included in the county or city local emergency ordinance, is limited to the geographic area covered under a locally declared state of emergency, it broadly includes virtually any transportation route, including those not owned by the unit of government such as state roads and highways.

As with any violation of restrictions or prohibitions imposed under a local state of emergency declaration, violating a road closure pursuant to a local declaration is punishable as a Class 2 misdemeanor (GS 166A-19.31(h), cross-referencing GS 14-288.20A). Unauthorized individuals who drive around road closure barriers or otherwise gain access to restricted areas may be cited by local law enforcement and are subject to criminal prosecution.

Emergency Road Closures Cannot Restrict Access by Essential Personnel.

Curfews and Limited Ingress and Egress Cannot Restrict Access by Utility Crews and Essential Goods Transporters

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

@ Marp - Wow!  Interesting. Closing the borders would certainly help keep more cases out.  

Respected Contributor

Too late to close any borders.  People travel in multiple ways to multiple places.

The virus can also "survive" on non-viable items and be transported.

The best thing is to completely avoid large, dense groups (that is why social distancing is critical), and wipe down anything that we come into contact with from outside the home.