Honored Contributor

Weird forum thing- anyone else?

When I just logged in....for the second time today, without hitting any weird buttons or settings by mistake, it shows every single thread on all forums as a totally unread thread for me.  Like if there are 162 posts in a thread I’ve been reading and following, it’s showing 162 new responses instead of maybe just 2 or 3 new ones since I last logged in,  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Weird forum thing- anyone else?

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh wrote:

When I just logged in....for the second time today, without hitting any weird buttons or settings by mistake, it shows every single thread on all forums as a totally unread thread for me.  Like if there are 162 posts in a threadI’vee been reading and following,it’ss showing 162 new responses instead of maybe just 2 or 3 new ones since I last logged in,  

@gidgetgh,  I just logged in for the first time today and saw your post -- all the threads/posts I've read are showing that I've read them (not in bold).

It sounds like you unintentionally hit the "Mark all posts in Community as New" feature.    It's easy to do by mistake (I found it especially easy to hit by mistake on my iPad and iPhone).    I wish they would either remove that feature or place it somewhere else -- to my way of thinking, that one and its companion, "Mark all posts in Community as Read," aren't very useful.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

That happens a lot. The option has been there as long a. I can recall and it is  very easy - not to mention very annoying - to accidentally click on it without knowing it because the forum is so jumpy.

Honored Contributor

Hmmmm.... I didn’t do that. I literally logged in and did nothing else.  But just for fun, I just pulled up the drop down box for that and it doesn’t show that I selected that. 

No real biggie. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's possible you hit it by mistake when logging out the last time, @gidgetgh, with it being located so close to the "Sign Out" menu option.    Who knows, with all the technical quirks we see on this website.🙃😛     If it's a system-wide problem, I'm sure we'll see other reports.    In any event, it's good that you alerted us to watch for it and I'm sorry that happened to you -- because I know (from experience) it's annoying to have everything inaccurately marked.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Sometimes that happens to me.  I have no idea why either.  

Notning ever makes sense here.  Some people have problems, some people  don’t.  🤦🏻‍♀️

Trusted Contributor

I hit that thing located under Quick Links to the left of the topics column constantly when scrolling down with my iPad. For me, it's typically “Mark all posts in Community as read” when I haven’t even opened them yet. Doesn’t seem to be a way to correct it either. Nor can I fathom why it's necessary. Just a small annoyance among many here. 

Honored Contributor

@Rowan72 wrote:

I hit that thing located under Quick Links to the left of the topics column constantly when scrolling down with my iPad. For me, it's typically “Mark all posts in Community as read” when I haven’t even opened them yet. Doesn’t seem to be a way to correct it either. Nor can I fathom why it's necessary. Just a small annoyance among many here. 

@Rowan72, the only thing close to a correction is to mark all posts as new.   Neither one is a good or useful option, as far as I'm concerned.    I agree, though, a small annoyance in the scheme of things.😊

Honored Contributor

Stuff happens.  Sometimes you get weird stuff for day or so and then you log in and suddenly everything is back to normal.  I don't worry about it, as long as I can read posts and respond, I'm good.  I know that the weird things don't last long and they correct themselves.