Honored Contributor

I have looked at them online but have never seen one in stores.  Everything I read said to purchase a blanket that's no more than 10% of your weight.  Most of them are 15 lbs. and up, which would be too heavy for me.

If you go to a very expensive weighted blanket you can get it at the lower weights.  The return policies for many of the ones that I looked at said you can't return them if they've been used.  How would you know if it worked for you if you didn't try it out?  I decided not to buy one.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I'm a weighted blanket cheerleader.  Always had insomnia.

Do your research.  As @Nicknack mentioned, the blanket should be 10% of your body weight.  Above may too heavy to be comfortable.  Below, may be too light to make a difference

I ended up choosing a "Degrees of Comfort" blanket that includes 2 duvet covers as I live in FL.  Summer cover is washable CoolMax microfiber, winter is fleece.

I now sleep through the night without tossing and turning.

Denise
Contributor

Costco sells a quality 48" x 72" weighted blanket made by Pendleton. It comes in gray or tan, with weight choices of 10, 15, or 20 lbs. The cost runs between $75 -$90. I found the 10 pound blanket is perfect: effective without being too heavy or constricting. The removable washable cover is a nice convenience. B38DC511-0C92-4A75-9FA5-9D79EFFEEA57.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Every person is different. I prefer lightweight bedding (thin sheets, no heavy comforters). 

I enjoy feeling covered, but not trapped.

Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

Do your research.  As @Nicknack mentioned, the blanket should be 10% of your body weight.  Above may too heavy to be comfortable.  Below, may be too light to make a difference

I ended up choosing a "Degrees of Comfort" blanket that includes 2 duvet covers as I live in FL.  Summer cover is washable CoolMax microfiber, winter is fleece.

@denisemb   Thank you so much for mentioning the brand you bought.  I found it on Amazon, and it comes in 12 lbs., which should be right for me.  I'm going to order it and should have it on Sunday (today is Friday).  I hope I will love it.  The reviews are good.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I don't sleep well at night and several people told me the weighted blanket helped them.  It was awful!  I felt smothered and uncomfortable under all that weight.  I returned it!

Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

@denisemb   I received this blanket yesterday.  It came with the fleece cover already on it.  I tried to sleep with it last night, but even with the fan on high it was too warm.  Is it hard to change the cover?  It does have ties inside, doesn't it?

I am wondering if I'll find it too hot even with the lighter cover on it.  Do you use it in the summer?  Also, I weigh 125 lbs. and ordered the 12 lb. weight.  It didn't feel very heavy around the top of my body like it did the bottom.  I expected it to feel equally heavy everywhere.  It was very heavy to put on the bed and arrange it though.  I expected that.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

This is kinda off topic, but must confess.  Got a Comfy last year.  Since they don't make them in petites, it was a pita to get on and off.  So, I decided to use it last winter instead of changing the bedding over for the season - no bulky blankets to deal with.  It worked like a charm!

I haven't stopped using my Comfy.  Figured it was some strange addiction, like having a teddy to snuggle up to when a child.  But there must be something  to this - sort of on the idea of the weighted blanket.  I feel better now, knowing I don't have some strange addiction.

And, whenever I snuggle up to my Comfy, I'm out like a light!  Last winter when it was very cold, my oil burner broke.  It got very cold in the house, waiting for hours to get it working again.  I covered Eddy, my furbaby, up with it while he lay in his bed.  He dozed off in a heartbeat.  

I think they should make a Comfy for dogs - good at freworks time.  And, maybe one of these days if I can pull myself away from my Comfy, I'll pick up a weighted blanket:  if they're anything like a Comfy, I'm in!Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote  @denisemb   I received this blanket yesterday.  It came with the fleece cover already on it.  I tried to sleep with it last night, but even with the fan on high it was too warm.  Is it hard to change the cover?  It does have ties inside, doesn't it?

I am wondering if I'll find it too hot even with the lighter cover on it.  Do you use it in the summer?  Also, I weigh 125 lbs. and ordered the 12 lb. weight.  It didn't feel very heavy around the top of my body like it did the bottom.  I expected it to feel equally heavy everywhere.  It was very heavy to put on the bed and arrange it though.  I expected that.

To be honest, my husband keeps the house too cool for me, so I'm using the fleece cover since I rec'd it in June.  I've dreaded changing the cover because it's so heavy.  It'll be at least a two person job.  One of these days I'll have to try it.

Yes, it does have ties on it, so maybe that will help.

Yes

Denise
Honored Contributor

Thank you @denisemb .  I guess I'll have to get someone to help me try to change the cover.

-Henry David Thoreau